Menu
smeeg
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Picture flashing on and off on 4K input

Here goes, I am a pretty technically able person so I understand most problems but this has me beat. I was using my Tivo on my 4K TV through the non 4K input as there was no point using it. Now I have upgraded my receiver to a 4K compatible one and have an Nvidia Shield TV that outputs in 4K I changed the input on the TV to the 4K one. (Still with me?)

Everything works on this input in either Full HD, or SD or 4K, dependant on whtich device is selected on the receiver, except the Tivo. If the Tivo is selected the picture and sound keep going on and off (more off than on) every few seconds. It looks like it won't handshake properly. I have tried various different cables, including the ones that work on the other devices,to no avial. I have bypassed the receiver and connected the Tivo directly to the 4K input and the problem persists. I figured it must be because my Tivo was one of the first ones ever and maybe had an issue or not up to the modern HDCP HDMI spec. To solve the issue, although far from ideal, I have had to bypass the receiver and connect the Tivo to HDMI2 on the TV and the receiver to HDMI4.

As chance would have it, my Tivo crapped the bed this week and was replaced with a brand new one yesterday. Yep, you guessed it, still the same problem with the handshaking (or whatever the problem is)

TV is a 58" Panasonic UHD, receiver is an Onkyo TXNR646 and the other equipment that works perfectly through the 4K input consists of a Wii, PS3, PS4, Nvidia Shield TV and a Roku 2.(being retired now)

Any help or suggestions of what to try next will be gratefully received.. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture flashing on and off on 4K input

It does sound as if it is a handshaking problem - but ensure you firmware on the tv is up-to-date.

I have my TiVo connected to a Samsung 4k tv and do not see any issue at all.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
smeeg
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. First thing I did was update the firmware on the TV and the receiver but to no avail
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi smeeg

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your TV at the moment, it's certainly a strange issue and one I'd like to take a closer look at.

I'd like to request that our back office team investigate this in an attempt to replicate / resolve it. So that I can do that, would you be able to respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information?

You can view the message by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page. Apologies again for the inconvenience this is causing and we're looking forward to hearing from youMan Happy

Speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
andyps
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Wondered if you had found a resolution to this one ? I'm experiencing the same issue with new LG 4K OLED TV connected through Balun kit to the TIVO box (actually, I have two and both doing the same thing), but when I connect the old V+ box, the TV works fine.

Any help would be appreciated

Andy

0 Kudos
smeeg
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still no cure for this one!

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was under the impression that Virgin currently transmit a max of HD and do not transmit a 4K signal
0 Kudos
smeeg
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You are correct but when connected to the 4K input on the TV it will not sync correctly. All the other Full HD equipment works perfectly on the same input and trhe TV syncs and sets itself to 1920 x 1080 (PS3, PS4, Roku)

0 Kudos