Menu
BeeJay1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Picture and sound problem - sometimes!

I've had my TiVo just over a week but haven't used it that much as my wife is normally quite happy with Freeview and not too keen on change.  However I have run it for half an hour or so each day in order to familiarise myself with it.  It did take a few days to settle down and mostly works well now, but when switched on this morning HD was unwatchable with serious picture (and sound) break-up.  SD was OK.  I ran the online tests and rebooted it a couple of times but that didn't fix it.  However I left it a couple of hours and when restarted it was back to normal.  The diagnostics don't mean a thing to me but I couldn't help but notice that signal strength was 23%-26% whereas yesterday it was 46%.  Both seem low to me but I'm obviously wondering if that may have been the cause of this morning's picture problem.  Having said that, it was still at 23% when it started working normally again.

An engineer's visit is already arranged for next week on a different issue concerned with cabling so no need for another, but I'd like to know whether my experience is typical or abnormal?  My wife is never going to adapt to it if it isn't completely dependable - as is Freeview.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture and sound problem - sometimes!

Hi BeeJay1,

Thanks fro posting!

It's definitely an issue with your input signal causing the picture breakup on HD channels (definitely not normal!).

The technician can remedy this very easily by manually adjusting the levels when he comes around.

Let me know if you get any trouble after the technician has been.

All the best Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
BeeJay1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh.  Signal strength has dropped further, it's now down to 13% though the system seems to be working OK right now.  After you picked this up a visit had been arranged for Wed 5th but I got an automated phone message last Friday saying the problem had been fixed and the visit had been cancelled.  I have managed to get it reinstated for Fri 7th because for two successive days it was unwatchable for about two hours after first being switched on and would then be OK.  Sod's law but that too seems to have cured itself for the time being.  However I still want the visit to remove about 6' excess cable from behind the TV.

It's all too inconsistent - I'm not impressed at all so far, either with the TiVo performance or with the service.  Broadband is OK though.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi BeeJay1,

Really sorry to hear that, not a great start!

Unfortunately, network faults can sometimes mask an isolated issue such as yours. The technician on Friday will readjust the signal and leave you with a consistent service.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
BeeJay1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This might come as welcome news for other newcomers who are having teething problems with TiVo.  Two weeks on from installation and the system seems finally to have settled down, everything working just as it should.  Whether the TiVo is clever enough to self diagnose and adjust, or whether VM's computers do this automatically, or whether there is human intervention I don't know but initial faults became progressively less frequent and severe and, as of today, are no more.  If it stays this way I'll be able finally to stop kicking myself for leaving TalkTalk where everything had worked faultlessly for me for years.  Anyway, thanks to Josh and Kath for doing their bit to help :-)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beejay1

Excellent news, thank you for taking the time to let me know about thatMan Happy

We'll be here if you need any assistance moving forward.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos