Menu
Tuppence1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Picture & sound cutting out

TiVo has started cutting out briefly during playback of recorded programs. One or two frames, black screen FFFF interruption that can be replayed, slowed down to count frames etc.
Interestingly, it does seem to affect CH4HD more than other channels, but that could be due to recording habits more than multiplexer issues. I can video the blackouts in slow motion mode if required.
Any chance it could be hard disk issues and there is a secret menu for defrag / formatting like the good old Humax / Toppers?
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture & sound cutting out

Hi your hard drive is failing time to phone virgin & get the box replaced. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Tuppence1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Mick,
Feels like a sledgehammer / nut scenario that... Doing a little more empirical research here: it is only 4HD that is suffering. Recorded the same programs on 104 and 141 (HD / SD) and other channels for many hours. The box has been working overtime and only blackouts are (repeatedly) on 142 (4HD).
Is there anyone from Virgin on these forums or is it purely community based?
0 Kudos
uktigger
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've been having the same issues, especially on 4HD so I would assume it wouldn't be a hard drive issue as that would be TOO MUCH of a coincidence for more than one person to have the same problem.

Would be nice if someone form Virgin could look into this though, as it is rather annoying.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Tuppence1,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

There has been a problem with Channel 4 recently where the picture was freezing but this should now be fixed.

Please let me know if you're still having problems with playing back recordings as I may need to arrange for a engineer to check the box.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Tuppence1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rose,
The frequency of dropouts does seem to have decreased somewhat; not entirely, but hopefully we are witnessing the death throes of the issue.

Much obliged...
Speckyspeck
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We too have been having the same problem, freezing pictures on live TV and recordings, for the past 10 weeks. We have had 4 engineer visits now, had TIVO box replaced once, and after every visit engineer says issue fixed. But always a few days later,  issue returns with pictures pixalating and freezing.

We are due to have  YET another visit tomorrow, and we have asked for a senior engineer, as we are totally fed up with not being able to watch programmes and we are paying a high premium for this TV Service, &  for the inconvenience of waiting in for the engineer, and I can't count the  endless number of hours speaking on the phone to Virgin to resolve the issue.

It seems to be a very common issue looking at the number of comments on the forum.

Come on Virgin what is going on ???????

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Speckyspeck

I'm really sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your TV service recently, I'm just checking in to see how the recent appointment went? 

Fingers crossed things are working as they should, if that's not the case just get in touch and I'll do what I can to help.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos