Menu
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Overrunnig Live Programs - TiVo Can't Cope...!!

2016 and TiVo STILL cannot manage to record a program correctly because of an earlier 'Live' program, which has overrun......Smiley Sad

Case in Point:

I have a Series Link to record Casualty on BBC One HD, every Saturday night. At 16:15, the FA Cup was showing on BBC One HD - this was a Live program. Of course, the football overran as the game went into extra-time, which added around 30-45 minutes to the program.

Then along comes TiVo (VM's high tech 'flagship'  set top box Smiley Very Happy ), and records the slot for when Casualty should have been on (at 21:25). Of course, because the football did indeed overrun, all subsequent programs were shifted, to be screened later than billed, so TiVo, famously recorded something else other than Casualty but still labelled the program as 'Casualty' in 'My Shows'.........

This is laughable and beyond a joke.....Smiley Very Happy Smiley Mad

Surely it can't be difficult for TiVo to realise that Casualty was not actually airing at its billed time - it should have picked up that the program was showing later, and subsequently then recorded it?!

.....and please don't give me the age old excuse of "...why can't the BBC stick to their scheduled times?"  Its got nothing to do with that - the point is, is that TiVo should be clever enough to know when the schedules are overrunning. 

In the example above, TiVo really just acted like a 1980's VHS video tape recorder - set it to record a specific channel and time slot and it will record exactly that, no matter what program is on?!?!? Go figure.....

¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overrunnig Live Programs - TiVo Can't Cope...!!

This has been discussed many times. Due to the way the TiVO operates, having three recording tuners & recording suggestions facilities, means a "Dynamic EPG" cannot be used effectively. Every time a programme is rescheduled, the TiVO would have to check through all scheduled recordings to evaluate programme clashes etc. With over 200 channels available to record, the amount of constant processing required would slow the TiVO to a standstill. So, TiVO boxes only update a few times a day, which is actually much better than VM's legacy boxes, that only update once a day.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are talking about a dynamic EPG and  it is not going to happen with the current incarnation of the TIVO. The problem is there is not enough brain power in the Tivo (hardware and software) to be able to do that and sort out all the rescheduling ramifications  for the 3 tuners that a late programme on a channel could cause. You are looking at one programme and one channel in isolation, there could be potentially multiple late running programmes on multiple channels  and the tivo would have to calculate all the ramifications  and possible  reschedules for each one, taking account of user priorities, available repeat showings etc

Maybe Tivo Mk2 will have the hardware/software ompf to do it,  we will have to wait and see  but i may be we will have to wait for the non TIVO platform.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

barrylowry wrote:

You are talking about a dynamic EPG and  it is not going to happen with the current incarnation of the TIVO. The problem is there is not enough brain power in the Tivo (hardware and software) to be able to do that and sort out all the rescheduling ramifications  for the 3 tuners that a late programme on a channel could cause. You are looking at one programme and one channel in isolation, there could be potentially multiple late running programmes on multiple channels  and the tivo would have to calculate all the ramifications  and possible  reschedules for each one, taking account of user priorities, available repeat showings etc

Maybe Tivo Mk2 will have the hardware/software ompf to do it,  we will have to wait and see  but i may be we will have to wait for the non TIVO platform.

...yep - Dynamic EPG. TiVo not beiing 'powerful' enough is NO excuse.......

Sky have this feature, as do many CHEAPER, Freeview  boxes - so why the hell can't TiVo do this?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In my opinion, you have to weigh up all of the function on offer and decide what is important to you.

For me the clash re-scheduling far outweighs the lack of dynamic EPG.

For you, it would seem that, a dynamic EPG is more important but not enough for you to choose with your feet.

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

barrylowry wrote:

...yep - Dynamic EPG. TiVo not beiing 'powerful' enough is NO excuse.......

Sky have this feature, as do many CHEAPER, Freeview  boxes - so why the hell can't TiVo do this?

Tell me the name of a cheap (or  expensive) freeview box that has 3 tuners and does the sort of rescheduling that TIVO does?

Tell me the name of a current sky box that has 3 tuners and does the sort of rescheduling that TIVO does ?

"not being 'powerful' enough is NO excuse" but it is the reason and more power/features will more likely mean higher subscription fees (SKY-Q anyone?)

All consumer tech is a compromise.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

And if there were to be a dynamic EPG then I would want to be certain that it was an option that could be switched off.

An "improvement" that would be more trouble than it is worth. One missed programme in 5 years of Tivo use does not make it worth its while to me, given the potential downsides.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!