Menu
Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Option to always show/record HD channel if it exists.

It would be nice if there was an option for Tivo to always pick the HD channel if it exists.

Given that your channel numbering is all over the place, I have to page down and down over and over to select the BBC 2,3,4 hd channels etc..

There is virtually no reason other than the local news on BBC1 that isn't on HD channel, why I would want to watch an SD channel over HD.

Also the same could be said for recording. An option to always record from the HD channels if that channel has an HD version would be great.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Option to always show/record HD channel if it exists.

Nutty667 wrote:

There is virtually no reason other than the local news on BBC1 that isn't on HD channel, why I would want to watch an SD channel over HD.

ITV has less regional variation on ITV HD than it does on ITV SD, so that's another factor, and I believe that C4 and Channel 5 have reduced advertising regions on their HD variants

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the HD boxes on the older V box system wouldn't support an SD / HD swap out even if TiVo did.

Nutty667 wrote:

Also the same could be said for recording. An option to always record from the HD channels if that channel has an HD version would be great.

For series links TiVo sticks to the channel you set it on - if you've done it via the HD channel it records the HD channel. Even if you're setting a recording from the SD channel if choose 'Explore This Show' it allows you to choose the HD channel for recording instead.

Also there is a 'Get in HD only' option in the Recording Options for the Wishlists

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't really use wishlists.

I still think some sort of over-ride per channel option would be nice. Its a pain having to go hunt for the HD channel.

0 Kudos
Wolfie11
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm guessing you don't use favourite channels and put all the HD ones you want to use in there.
0 Kudos
Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No. Takes 3 button presses to get into favourites. I've lost the will to live after that much user interface wrangling.
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nutty667 wrote:
No. Takes 3 button presses to get into favourites. I've lost the will to live after that much user interface wrangling.

Life is so hard.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
David_Mullen
Just browsing
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

^^this.

The greatest and simplest misconception in perfect representation right there on these forums for all to see.

Just because the options are there or because you consider that it "works" does not mean that...

A: There is no room for improvement 

B: There isn't an entirely better way of doing it

Also, this attitude is what cost Android so many many customers for a very long period to Apple/iOS. Android gained more features as an OS early on but until (and it's still not quite there with Lollipop) Android Kitkat, Google had not really concentrated in smoothing out the UI. Something Apple made sure was near perfect right from the get go.

Sometimes these subtle features, just slightly more slick elements to a system or a UI are just the very things that make it all more enjoyable.

For example, the mini TV guide thinking that I want to record a series or set up a series link when I select an program rather than the channel is such a small thing technically speaking, but absolutely infuriating from a design point of view.

Virgin need to take all these small (and large) complaints more seriously and maybe then, like Android/Google, will they see their market share rise exponentially Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

David_Mullen wrote: 

For example, the mini TV guide thinking that I want to record a series or set up a series link when I select an program rather than the channel is such a small thing technically speaking, but absolutely infuriating from a design point of view. 

It doesn't - unless you're selecting a programme which isn't on yet.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Nutty667
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was using a Freeview box at work a while ago, and they have this option that when you change channel, and it's showing the "Current Channel" info bar at the bottom, one of the coloured button options is "Switch to HD".

So you don't have to hunt for the channel, you just press Green after switching to BBC2 and it takes you to BBC2 HD.

Would be nice if something like this could be added.

Also a "Always record HD version" in settings option.  I mean it's still a pain and only going to get worse when more HD channels come online.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nutty667 wrote:

I was using a Freeview box at work a while ago, and they have this option that when you change channel, and it's showing the "Current Channel" info bar at the bottom, one of the coloured button options is "Switch to HD".

So you don't have to hunt for the channel, you just press Green after switching to BBC2 and it takes you to BBC2 HD.

Would be nice if something like this could be added.

Also a "Always record HD version" in settings option.  I mean it's still a pain and only going to get worse when more HD channels come online.

Yes, also my freesat box, If I select a recording on an SD channel, it tells me there is an HD version and I can choose which to record. The freesat epg and general menu navigation is also 10x faster but that is a separate issue.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos