Menu
mosquito
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OpenDNS to block YouTube app

Hello all,

Dont know if you are aware yet, but the YouTube app on the TiVo box provided has had the parental lock removed in the latest update. I have two kids and the older one is very curious to look up inappropriate things after hearing about them at school. We have signed up to websafe but since VirginMedia have removed the parental lock on the youTube App (not the channel) the have exposed kids to all the inappropriate content that exists on youTube. This is incredibly irresponsible and I have raised an official complaint with VirginMedia, whose current response is to say its not their problem.

The only options I have at the moment are to get a new router which is compatible with SuperHub 3, and also supports openDNS so that I can manually block youTube access. Something not too pricey would be great!

Can you please recommend something to me please. I have been looking but I have found it difficult to get the information I need.

Thankyou so much

0 Kudos
tweetiepooh
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: OpenDNS to block YouTube app

Hi

I don't think that would work as the Tivo doesn't use the BB connection, it has its own coax connection to the wider world.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Youtube app on the Tivo uses it's own network so your solution would not work, I believe they can block accounts totally from PPV functions so they may be able to do the same for Apps 

mosquito
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So is there a way to stop it, do any of the coaxial cables onthe back just function for the internet access? If so I am happy to just disconnect it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you unplug the coaxial you lose tv

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The locks are a PIA for others and the kids will simply view YouTube on their mobiles.

0 Kudos
mosquito
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Excuse my ignorance but what's a pia? Also, I know they can view on their mobiles. But the mobile device gives me the ability to set controls, the TiVo box no longer gives this option, also it bypasses the websafe settings as it use the connection from the box and not the router
0 Kudos
sidsewell
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried locking the youtube account you signed up on TIVO ?

See

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/10-ways-to-make-youtube-safer-for-your-kids-100430137814.html

0 Kudos