Menu
AngryMan61
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 106
Flag for a moderator

On Demand - the infamous Error 319

Hi.

I'm new to the Virgin Media forums. However, i've enrolled because I'm becoming really bitter at the lack of service I am receiving.

There are TV shows that I wish to catch up on using the On Demand service. I have been a customer of yours since the days of NTL, and incorporated into Virgin Media TV. I lean on OD very heavily, and I ma following more than my fair share of shows.

That said, I have been unable to watch shows on OD for several weeks now, due to the 319 issue. I contacted the help line nearly two weeks ago. At that time, there was a messaged reply stating that the problem is known as would be fixed as soon as possible. Days and days have gone by. I have spoken to a human on network TV faults, I have been issued with a free phone number and I receive regular texts. However, the problem seems to be expanding, and the fix date and time seems to be moving backwards, with no progress!

Virgin Media, this is unacceptable. You are taking my money monthly, with no resolution in sight, and no sense of urgency. Fix this soon, or I will be formally complaining to the Onbudsman, Ofcom, or whichever is the relevant body.

May I also mention emailing issues? Since your brought email back in house, I have been receiving more junk mail. I have used your Spam service, but it's the same site that's re-offending. I have had all sorts of excuses from your support team, but I have the Mozilla Thunderbird Add-on called Junquilla installed. This software has no problem recognising and isolating this Spam, why, with your far greater resources, do you struggle?

I want answers and solutions soon please, or, I promise, these issues will be escalated.

Yours truly

AngryMan61

Helpful Answers
AngryMan61
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 106
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: On Demand - the infamous Error 319

Hi Ben,

Thank you for responding, however, I beg to differ on your diagnosis. This is a server problem, VM have received over 1500 complaints regarding this issue. VM keep texting me to advise me that an engineer has been appointed to investigate and rectify the issue, and not surprisingly, they have reset he expected completion/rectification date several times. The flaw cannot be pointed at Sky, since I and others have experienced it on Channel Four and Five as well as others. This does seen to be a HD problem, but never affects BBC iPlayer, since they host there own content. So the issue points to lack of capacity, or perhaps an indexing problem with the database storage of the HD files. They are best placed to advise of course, but my beef is that they are taking cash for a service they are not providing. VM needs to come clean and advise the real expected rectification date, instead of hoping it's customers don't notice.

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 106
Flag for a moderator

Hi there AngryMan61,

Welcome into Community, I'm very sorry to learn that you're having some problem with the error 319 on the box. This indicates an issue uploading the content to the box from the On Demand service. 

It should be able to rectify itself after a few repeated attempts, I've tested the box and things are looking quite healthy.

Keep in touch. 

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
AngryMan61
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 106
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ben,

Thank you for responding, however, I beg to differ on your diagnosis. This is a server problem, VM have received over 1500 complaints regarding this issue. VM keep texting me to advise me that an engineer has been appointed to investigate and rectify the issue, and not surprisingly, they have reset he expected completion/rectification date several times. The flaw cannot be pointed at Sky, since I and others have experienced it on Channel Four and Five as well as others. This does seen to be a HD problem, but never affects BBC iPlayer, since they host there own content. So the issue points to lack of capacity, or perhaps an indexing problem with the database storage of the HD files. They are best placed to advise of course, but my beef is that they are taking cash for a service they are not providing. VM needs to come clean and advise the real expected rectification date, instead of hoping it's customers don't notice.

Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 4 of 106
Flag for a moderator

Yes, of course it's a server problem - the servers are clearly struggling - which is why they have removed most HD content. Movies fresh to On Demand have a HD version, but the HD version gets removed after 30 days. Therefore of all the Sky Cinema movies on On Demand, only a small fraction are actually in HD. Apparently the HD content was removed several months ago as a 'temporary measure', but not only has it never come back, the ongoing problems with what little HD content there is remain. As a Sky customer I got used to doing most of my movie watching On Demand, so this is really doing my head in. I forked out for a decent telly and sound surround system, so SD just doesn't cut it.

I've subscribed to email updates on the issue, and the expected resolution date just keeps getting moved back and back and back. I'm beginning to doubt they will ever bother fixing it. It's absolutely disgusting service.

AngryMan61
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 106
Flag for a moderator

Rabangus, thank you so much for your response, this was really informative. I remember in the early days they had constant problems with the HD content, this was eased, but more recently the ITV HD content went, not sure if this was connected to thierchange to ITV hub.

I agree it's a complete disgrace, I think I will make enquiries and representation to Trading Standards, and discuss the matter with Retentions.

Thank you.

Tomkats
Joining in
Message 6 of 106
Flag for a moderator

I'm with you on this issue, it seems I learn more about the issues with vm from looking at other people's complaints this is not good enough. The following was my attempt to get some answers from vm.

Is anyone else having issues with on demand services? I can never seem to watch channel 4 programmes using on demand service usually I get error code 319 and resetting the tivo box doesn't solve the issue. In fact ever since the update a few months ago my service has been terrible, lagging when you go from guide to my shows or just choosing another channel. I've complained about this before and I get nowhere when I first got virgin media 10 years ago it was a much better service than today and it was cheaper. If I wasn't tied into a contract I would have moved to sky sorry but that's how bad things have got. Okay the broadband is better these days but who uses the telephone nowadays it's all tied in as a package deal. When will you provide a better service to your very long time customers?.
0 Kudos
Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 106
Flag for a moderator

It's specific programmes for me. For example, I am working my way through the boxset of Lost. I have watched up to series 2 ep 3, but ep 4 gives the 319 error. After trying for a week, I've given up and skipped that one and gone onto ep 5, which works fine. I have had similar experience in the last few weeks with other OD content, where some won't load but others will.
0 Kudos
kitty65
Tuning in
Message 8 of 106
Flag for a moderator

Hi Angryman, I've been having exactly the same problems , with various channels, inc chan 4 and 5, however I don't have a problem viewing any On demand/catch up using my amazon firestick. I'm paying £80 a month for a service that isn't delivering!!

Not happy!

BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 106
Flag for a moderator

In a weird way I am at least glad they have acknowledged it and I can see the status of it through the Service Status page.
After reporting it myself as far back as September I'm glad they have made it visible that there is an issue and they are working on it.
Unfortunately the latest update is 4pm a week today the 12th so we are getting nearer to the crucial time of Christmas when no doubt if homes are anything like mine we hammer on demand for all types of stuff.

No doubt they will be having staff off at that time also so less chance of it being fixed.
0 Kudos
Bingley
Superfast
Message 10 of 106
Flag for a moderator

This error is driving us crazy. I agree this is their server problems ! What I take distaste in is remarks from VM forum team with remarks like this :-

"It should be able to rectify itself after a few repeated attempts"  as noted by Ben .

I will not sit and keep repeat pressing buttons until it works. !! We pay for a service ( which is not being provided ) therefore that product and service should work for what it is being charged for