Menu
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OMG, VM have released a new "update"

VM really know how to communicate. The post about the latest update :-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Update-to-our-TiVo-boxes/m-p/3257296#U...

lacks the most basic and essential information.

Firstly what is the version number of the update so that customers can check whether or not they have it? Yes,it has been posted elsewhere by other customers but surely this should have been included in the above post.

Secondly, there are no details provided about the update. Since it is supposed to resolve the slowness problems it would have been useful to explain what has been done. Otherwise I am unconvinced that they have not just simply packaged up the nonsense posted earlier, e.g. clear the cache, reboot the GUI, delete recordings, remove thumbs, do the hokey-cokey and turn around, reboot, all of which, at best, resolved the problem for a short time only.

Sounds cynical? Then remember that the prevous two upgrades, last year and this summer, both caused problems rather than being upgrades. It is also obvious that VM's testing processes/procedures are not up to scratch. Who is doing the testing?

I see from the V6 forum that the Superusers have already got V6 boxes to test. One has then to presume that they also had the last two upgrades to test as well and, given what happened on release, they obviously failed badly when it came to identifying the problems that the rest of us subsequently suffered.

So who tested this new update? Can we have any confidence that this will fare any better than the last botched attempt?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: OMG, VM have released a new "update"

frank_gm wrote:

I see from the V6 forum that the Superusers have already got V6 boxes to test. One has then to presume that they also had the last two upgrades to test as well

Nope

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, @frank_gm, you presume wrong. The latest software update for TiVo has not been supplied to and tested by any Superusers that I am aware of.

Only a very few of the Superusers have been fortunate enough to get early access to a V6.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Unfortunately, @frank_gm, you presume wrong. The latest software update for TiVo has not been supplied to and tested by any Superusers that I am aware of.

Only a very few of the Superusers have been fortunate enough to get early access to a V6.

So the question remains, who does the testing because it has been spectacularly poor to date?

I believe that you like me, have a background in IT. I cannot comprehend how VM can release software that is just so bad. I know that sometimes it is deemed acceptable to release software that contains some bugs that might be too expensive/ time-consuming to debug without excessive delays, but that does not normally extend to showstoppers that destroy your companies reputation.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I will break cover and say I was part of a Beta group who tested the new big software update where the Series Link + was implemented etc.

However I can tell you now none of us in a private forum experienced any of the slow down that I am seeing myself even now.

My thoughts on this are as follows :-
I have a 1TB as my main box. They supplied a 500Mb for me to test. I said I wasn't ripping out a 1TB full of programmes for something half the size so they said ok use it elsewhere then. So I used it in my bedroom. For the purpose of the testing I recorded a few programmes here and there just so it was being used and had content on it. It was noticeably quicker than my main box downstairs.

Pretty much weekly we would receive a software update and this would trigger a box reboot. We would also get 'testing homework' to complete.
During these couple of months testing we did identify other issues but again nothing as drastic as the slow down that has appeared.

Since the trial ended in September I think it was you can kind of see where the issue is because now my 'trial' box is not being rebooted weekly due to new updates this also is experiencing the slowdown. Not as much as my main 1Tb creaking nearly full of stuff but it is there.

As we all know if you reboot the box it gives you a temporary speed boost and I therefore think as we were getting weekly reboots it was kind of masking the potential issues that would come with a box that is being used 'normally' and not being restarted.

Just in case you were wondering I don't have a V6 and never been contacted about one either which is disappointing after testing other stuff out for them but maybe as we didn't find these issues in our testing we have been put on the scrap heap anyway.

I hope that kind of helps you understand that as a tester I do feel a bit of guilt about it but can see how it has happened.
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If testing consists of throwing it out there to people given second boxes for their bedrooms it is no wonder there have been so many major failures,over the years but what is more troubling is that when actual paying customers are picked to be in "trial areas" (by their own definition) and the faults are reported IMMEDIATELY, rather than roll those areas back, they ignore all the complaints and continue to inflict the faults on the remainder of the country.

IMO Series Links should never have been released in the state they are in where you can no longer choose which channels to record from and where adding a new series link DELETES existing ones without even warning the user and now this very same fault exists on their new platform and where "All channel" links are twice as problematic due to the numbers of tuners.

I also find it most peculiar that VM have still not provided any clarification since the conflicting information given out by moderators yesterday.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

UNKNOWN wrote:

If testing consists of throwing it out there to people given second boxes for their bedrooms it is no wonder there have been so many major failures,over the years

Youre taking one quote from one tester and extrapolating. Do you by any chance work for a tabloid newspaper? If not a paid career in hyperbole awaits...

but what is more troubling is that when actual paying customers are picked to be in "trial areas" (by their own definition) and the faults are reported IMMEDIATELY, rather than roll those areas back, they ignore all the complaints and continue to inflict the faults on the remainder of the country.

Why? What are you basing that on? Do you know what else the update did? Maybe it changed some core  functionality and the update NEEDED rolled out despite the flaw. Not saying that's the case, just  in case you want to misquote me, but your basing that on a having no information. Not a very strong basis.

IMO Series Links should never have been released in the state they are in where you can no longer choose which channels to record from and where adding a new series link DELETES existing ones without even warning the user and now this very same fault exists on their new platform and where "All channel" links are twice as problematic due to the numbers of tuners.

I have no idea what that means. If you add a new series link for the same program is SHOULD overwrite an old one. Or else you would have edited the old one ? And Series links work better due to more tuners (less clashes) , assuming you have the same number of series links (or thereabouts)

I also find it most peculiar that VM have still not provided any clarification since the conflicting information given out by moderators yesterday.

Don't get me wrong you make some good points. And in fact, youve hit a critical one , albeit in a round about way. The reason VM should provide more information, as you have (rightly) asked for is that in its absence people make stuff up.

0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

UNKNOWN wrote:

If testing consists of throwing it out there to people given second boxes for their bedrooms it is no wonder there have been so many major failures,over the years

Youre taking one quote from one tester and extrapolating. Do you by any chance work for a tabloid newspaper? If not a paid career in hyperbole awaits...

but what is more troubling is that when actual paying customers are picked to be in "trial areas" (by their own definition) and the faults are reported IMMEDIATELY, rather than roll those areas back, they ignore all the complaints and continue to inflict the faults on the remainder of the country.

Why? What are you basing that on? Do you know what else the update did? Maybe it changed some core  functionality and the update NEEDED rolled out despite the flaw. Not saying that's the case, just  in case you want to misquote me, but your basing that on a having no information. Not a very strong basis.

I have no idea what that means. If you add a new series link for the same program is SHOULD overwrite an old one. Or else you would have edited the old one ? And Series links work better due to more tuners (less clashes) , assuming you have the same number of series links (or thereabouts)

Don't get me wrong you make some good points. And in fact, youve hit a critical one , albeit in a round about way. The reason VM should provide more information, as you have (rightly) asked for is that in its absence people make stuff up.

I'll ignore the personal insults about who I might work for and whether you think I am talking BS and just help you understand your question on series links even though it has been done to death already in numerous threads so I didn't want to write the full details again. However, if I have a series link for a program on BBC1 and want to add a new series link for the same program on BBC2, with the old software that would work perfectly well - Tivo will record the program on either channel. Now adding the series link for BBC2 will delete the series link and all its settings from BBC1. There is not even a warning informing the user. Don't you think that is totally out of order! (The first rule of programming when overwriting something is to prompt the user!) I don't want to faff around with "ALL Channels" because then I get recordings from Gold, Challenge, +1 etc and we all know the "New Only" and episode information is often not good enough. With V6 you can get 6 simultaneous recordings of the same program from regional variants and the planned recording screen now gets impossible to manually  maintain and 1TB gets filled up in no time at all. There was no need to stop people from picking which channels to record from just to implement All Channels. There have been many examples given in the existing threads but I have not seen it addressed by VM.

BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I was in a minority with it being classed as a second box for sure but as I said even those using it full time never reported what we are seeing now.

Series Link + lets just say there were comments about that but we can say how good or bad we think it is but ultimately it is working how Virgin wanted it to.
The meta data is what is screwing up the Series Link+ and that is a shame otherwise I think the concept is quite good
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

UNKNOWN wrote:

Kippies wrote:

UNKNOWN wrote:

I'll ignore the personal insults about who I might work for and whether you think I am talking BS

I didnt "personally insult" you. I emphasised that you were guessing at stuff through a lack of information and that VM should seek to address that. I called you out on taking one testers remark out of context, which you did, and I see they have now wanted to qualify as well. 

and just help you understand your question on series links even though it has been done to death already in numerous threads so I didn't want to write the full details again. However, if I have a series link for a program on BBC1 and want to add a new series link for the same program on BBC2, with the old software that would work perfectly well - Tivo will record the program on either channel. Now adding the series link for BBC2 will delete the series link and all its settings from BBC1. There is not even a warning informing the user. Don't you think that is totally out of order! (The first rule of programming when overwriting something is to prompt the user!)

The V6 warns you have a series link in place.

I don't want to faff around with "ALL Channels" because then I get recordings from Gold, Challenge, +1 etc and we all know the "New Only" and episode information is often not good enough. With V6 you can get 6 simultaneous recordings of the same program from regional variants and the planned recording screen now gets impossible to manually  maintain and 1TB gets filled up in no time at all.

A series Link+ on V6 is set up for ONE channel or All Channels, then you can select just new episodes or all.  Works fine for me. I haven't had it recording 6 different versions from regional variations on "All" yet but I suppose its early days...have you experienced that issue yourself?

There was no need to stop people from picking which channels to record from just to implement All Channels. There have been many examples given in the existing threads but I have not seen it addressed by VM.

0 Kudos