Menu
Bluenose63
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Nteflix freezes at 25% during viewing.

Nteflix freezes then loads to 25%. After seraching this I noticed Virgin have known about this for a long time and done nothing about it. I will be going back to Sky.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nteflix freezes at 25% during viewing.

Hi Bluenose63,

Welcome to the Community and posting for the first time Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to read that you've been having some moments of freezing whilst watching your favourite shows on Netflix.

I've been running some preliminary tests on the connection and have found some issues that would need to be looked at. 

With no known outage in the area that may affect your services, I would recommend an engineer. I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
dralanhart
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nteflix freezes at 25% during viewing.

This problem is not exclusive to TiVo. We have a 70mbit Virgin connection which works well in other areas, and we see the exact above problem on the following devices:
YouView box (Huawei)
Amazon Fire stick
TiVo.

The problem does not manifest on Chromecast v2. I suspect the Chromecast app fails more gracefully when there's a connection problem.

This could be a limitation in virgin media's caching of Netflix content.
0 Kudos
SteerPike
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix freezes at 25% during viewing.

We have experienced Virginmedia Tivo Netflix freezing at 25% for about a week.

Power cycling the Tivo seemed to help, but I am not hopeful that this has resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steerpike, 

Thank you for coming in and posting your comment here, welcome back to the Community.

I'm very sorry that you've been having some issues on the Netflix buffering, I've been running some tests and I have been able to see an outage linked the services in the property regarding SNR, (Signal to Noise Ratio). The fault reference is F004395815, the engineer's are already on site and the review date for this will be for the 3rd of May 2016.

Many thanks for your patience in this and can you bump this thread closer to the review date.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

SteerPike
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

This is still a problem, given that the freezing happens almost invariably at 25% it seems likely that the issue is not simply related to the quality of the broadband connection.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi SteerPike,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I have checked and since we last updated you the ticket Ben has provided has now been closed and I don't see any lasting issues on the network side of things that would impact the TiVo® in anyway.

If this is an ongoing issue can you please confirm if this only impacts the Netflix app or if it affects other apps like BBC iPlayer or YouTube?  If you don't normally use these apps can you please test them out and let me know how you get on?

It is most likely down to the issue we're aware of with Netflix via TiVo®, we also want to check and rule in/out any other possible underlying issues that may contribute to this fault.

Please let me know how you get on, I'm here to help if you need me.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

SteerPike
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix freezes at 25% during viewing in HD

I find that all apps on TiVo® are slow, and this is certainly the case with Netflix, iPlayer and YouTube, however, this sluggishness is not the same as the Netflix "freezing" issue. As requested, last night I ran a series of tests as shown below.

1) I used Netflix to try to watch a film and once again it repeatedly "froze" at 25%

2) With iPlayer I was able to start watching a film without freezing, although there was some "stuttering" which seemed to reduce after a while

3) I returned to the menu and loaded YouTube and was able to stream content, again with "stuttering", and with low quality.

4) Back at the menu I selected iPlayer and reloaded the film I was watching in 2) but this time changed the quality to HD and the iPlayer app "froze" and would not operate properly or load the film even if I tried to change back to SD

5) After reloading and returning to iPlayer I was able to watch the film (in SD) that I originally started in 2

Currently my Netflix subscription and quality setting is HD.

To summarise my findings, it appears that Virgin Media the fastest fibre in the west with blindingly fast DOCSIS® 3.0 broadband can't reliably stream an HD channel.

SteerPike
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So far I have not been able to reproduce the "freezing" when using other devices, i.e. only Tivo and only HD

0 Kudos
SteerPike
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I see posting on other threads referring to high demand affecting performance, perhaps this is due to VM offering Netflix free for 6 months and perhaps VM might have forecast the effect that this was likely to have on the network? Foot. Gun. Shoot.

Furthermore, one suspects that fixing the other issue concerning poor performance of Tivo in general is low on the priority list because top of the list is bringing forward the new box to compete with Sky Q.

0 Kudos