Menu
Tibicar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Noob Question - Cables to Tivo box or Wifi?

A really dim question from someone who's had sky for 20 years.

Where do the Tivo and V boxes get their signal? Is it cables fro the road to the boxes, cables from the broadband hub to the boxes or Wifi? Sky signal is what I woulkd call very reliable unless major weather conditions. How is virgins TV?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Noob Question - Cables to Tivo box or Wifi?

To get a signal your street has to be cabled. Then they run a cable from the street to a box on the outside of your property then from there into your house for any services you require. Virgin signal is usually stable. Obviously no interference from weather. You may occasionally have a signal issue on the TiVo tv box as they are extre sensitive to the signal going in to it being correct 

if you're thinking of switching from sky hold your horses. VM bringing out a new box later this year. The current box (TiVo) is outdated, slow and at present not a nice experience. 

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To get a signal your street has to be cabled. Then they run a cable from the street to a box on the outside of your property then from there into your house for any services you require. Virgin signal is usually stable. Obviously no interference from weather. You may occasionally have a signal issue on the TiVo tv box as they are extre sensitive to the signal going in to it being correct 

if you're thinking of switching from sky hold your horses. VM bringing out a new box later this year. The current box (TiVo) is outdated, slow and at present not a nice experience. 

Tibicar
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, will be a while before we can switch as it's not even in our street yet. New box coming out isn't necessarily encouraging, just look at the issues everyone's having with Sky Q. New normally means teething issues.
I would also miss Sky Atlantic.
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sky Atlantic is an easy fix. Just buy a Now TV box and pay a small subscription (it's not a contract you can cancel anytime). That's what I do. Yes I usually don't get new tech straight away! Leave it a year and it's always better. 

cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

but appreciate that all live TV from Sky on NOWTV is god-awful 480p SD with no subtitles

compared with 1080p + 5.1 surround next-day downloads from the dark side

Tibicar
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Noted. I could cope with lower quality as I quite often download in sd for a speedier download.
0 Kudos
gclaridgehunt
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When I spoke to Virgin and said I was thinking of moving to Sky because of their very sexy looking service I was immediately offered a staggering discount from  my Virgin package of some £45.00 per month.

To say I was staggered would be an understatement.  Give it a go and see if they offer you a "loyalty discount" if you promise to wait forvthe Tivo replacement

Graham

0 Kudos