Menu
SmokeyH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Noisy Tivo box

Had our TiVo box replaced today (last one kept on the starting up screen) but replacement box is loud. 

The hard drive in it is contantly chugging away and can be heard over the TV volume. Isthis a common problem?

Any known fixes?

0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy Tivo box

Yep, seems like a very common problem. Why the hard drive needs to be constantly chugging away when you are watching live TV and not recording anything is a bit odd. I have found putting noise isolating feet on them helps (they can be found fairly cheap on Amazon/ Ebay etc), but the best solution (in terms of noise abatement) is to put the box on a folded up towel. My main concern with that though is heat buildup...

SmokeyH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for tips.
My old box was so quiet so can't see why this loud. I understand the hard drive has to make sound but shouldn't able to hear the box being in before entering the room surely!

Can see others having same problem looking in threads and have had engineers and replacements out.
Guess I might just have a louder than normal box.

It not something I want to live with as last night was annoying enough
0 Kudos
SmokeyH
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello SmokeyH,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

The TiVo® box will make some noises due to the hard drive inside the box but this shouldn't be loud or constant. The sound can be affected by the surface the TiVo® is sitting on but if it's in the same place as the last box I may need to send someone else out to find out why it's making such a noise.

Please let me know if this would be okay for you.

Speak soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

SmokeyH
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rose

May be good if that is OK. Noise is very distracting and wouldnt expect it to be this loud. Box is just in wooden TV stand - old box was in the same place and was no where near as vocal.
Considering to upgrade to a 1gb box but wouldn't want to pay the extra to have same issue.

Let me know best next steps for this to be looked into.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Okay that's no problem, I'll arrange for a technician to visit your property so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of your screen you will see a message waiting for you with further information.

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide