Menu
Caesar
Just joined
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Noisy Tivo Hard Drive

We had a new Tivo box recently, and the hard drive rumbles away constantly even when not recording. I am quite sensitive to noise, the box is in a wooden cabinet  We find the noise distracting. I have read the other threads, and can confirm that the drumming sound is still present when I lift up the box - I have also tried putting dampeners under the box but this does not help. I had an earlier model previously in exactly the same place and did not have this problem.  I will probably cancel my Tivo service as there are times when this gets so annoying I have to stop watching

0 Kudos
gazhigg
Joining in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy Tivo Hard Drive

I have the same issue. I switched from sky to virgin recently and have had enough already. Virgin are sending an engineer on Wednesday so we'll see how it pans out. Can't believe in this day and age that the tivo should make so much noise
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Caesar,

Many thanks for coming to the Community for the first time  Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to learn that there's some noise coming from the box, sometimes there are some moving parts, especially when the HDD is in use.

I'd really like to help out here and from what I can see inside the TiVo, there are a few levels that would need some looking into. My tests have shown that some of the Input levels are being affected by something and would need an engineer. With the engineer, s/he can also check the noise levels whilst performing their duties Smiley Happy

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page.

Take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
sportsfan75
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ben,

I have the same problem as the other users. I have just switched from Sky to Virgin and have 2 1TB Tivo boxes. They are both constantly grinding the hard drive, making the system unusable in my house. Please can you advise what tests you ran for the previous forum member so I can replicate before I call out an engineer.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Caesar,

Ben isn't in today, but I wanted to check back with you, as we haven't received a response from you regarding the fault with your TiVo®. 

Please let us know if we can get an engineer booked for the problem we are seeing with your equipment. We would like to get this problem fixed for you straight away.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi sportsfan75,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. It's great to see a new face here. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with both of your TiVo® boxes being noisy. Ben isn't in today, so I hope you don't mind that I have picked up your post. I'd like to look into this further for you.

I have been able to run the remote tests to both your TiVo boxes already, so there isn't anything further you need to do for that. I am seeing issues on both boxes, so I am going to need to get an engineer out to you. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the red envelope at the top left of this page. 

Speak soon.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
rattyhannah
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I am having similar problems to the others who have posted in this thread.

I had my previous TiVo box for a number of years and brought it with me when I moved house. However, because I changed areas, the engineer advised that the old box would not work in the new area, so gave me a "brand new" replacement. The only outward difference is that this new box is cardless.

However, the new box makes terrible hard driving-failing noises all the time, even while not recording or even watching television. The old box never made noises like this - I previously lived in a bedsit and would not only have noticed but would have been kept awake (and driven insane) by it. It was near silent, only making a few noticeable reading sounds when starting up.

The new box stands in the same position on the same furniture and grinds away, even continuing if I lift it up so that it cannot vibrate against any surfaces. We have tried many different positions and arrangements to try to dampen the sound, but I still keep having to turn the television up if I'm watching something, or leave the room to get away from the grinding if I'm not.

I hope you may be able to help me too, because if this is the new normal, I will be leaving Virgin.

0 Kudos
Inchbeag
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to add a me too, but I have the same issue.

We've been with Virgin for two weeks now and noticed the noise as soon as the installation technician left. I waited to see if it would quieten down but it was just the same after 10 days. Phoned Virgin and after 20 minutes managed to convince them to send out an engineer.

He said the noise is normal and is because the box is in a wooden unit. I pointed out that the Panasonic HDR on the shelf below was silent and he said it was because it was in standby but I proved it was recording silently! He then swapped out the box but it's only marginally quieter. I was told to put it on a folded towel (!) as that would help. Sorry but the techies seem to know of the problem but no one can fix it.

Also the Tivo box is not recognised automatically via HDMI by the Sony TV but the Panasonic and my old YouView box are instantly recognised and TV switches to them. With the Tivo I have to use manual selection before I can view Virgin TV

Any suggestions people ???

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Rattyhannah,

Many thanks for taking the time out to speak to the Community, welcome Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to learn about the TiVo making a grinding sound, the HDD can sometimes make some sound, (due to moving parts), but this should be minimal. 

I'm a little concerned if this is above the TV viewing and making this grinding sound. I'd like to send out an engineer to take a little look at this. 

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page.

Get back to me when you can.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Inchbeag
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I've removed the Tivo box from the TV cabinet and placed it on the carpet but I myself and my wife can still hear the disk knocking away. 

Having spent time researching the forums it appears that the Samsung box is quieter, in fact most say it is totally silent. When I hold the Cisco box in my hand I can feel the disk vibrations as it buffers the TV program.

Any way to fit vibration damping to the box cabinet because if two 65+ year olds can hear it  surely others younger than us must notice it as well.

0 Kudos