Menu
ladycarr
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Noisy TIVO box

Just wondering why my new TIVO box is noisy.  It sounds as if there is a turntable inside and I have to turn tv volume up and prop the box itself up.  I have tried all positions and tried resting the box on various items to reduce the noise but there is still this annoying little tick tick in the background!

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy TIVO box

The sound you hear is the HDD heads moving to buffer 3 channels at the same time

0 Kudos
ladycarr
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Does this mean I have to put up with it or is there something I can do?  I'm regretting upgrading - the old box was perfectly fine and noise free.  Do all TIVO boxes have the same annoying issue?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If your old box didn't record, then it won't have contained an HDD recording content. That's the noise you can hear.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi ladycarr,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having TiVo® trouble.

I've located your account and I can see you've had a technician out to fix this for you. How is the TiVo® now?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ladycarr
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi, the technician was great.  He replaced the box after acknowledging it was noisier than it should be.  However, the one I have now seems to be noisy too - when tv is on mute I can still hear the clicking sound (although not as bad as the first box).  On technician's suggestion I have put padding underneath the box which helps to an extent although I would rather not have to do this.  It seems to be ok for a while and then it comes back.

I wish I had not accepted the upgrade and box.  I was very happy with the old box and all the functions I had.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It gets noisier when buffering 3 HD channels
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, they are very loud - especially when placed on wooden furniture (which can act as an amplifier).

I tried vibration isolating feet which helped a little, but putting it on a folded towel was the best I could do, and even with that the one in the bedroom still bothered me at night. I'm not recommending that though due to the increased risk of overheating. Why they need to make so much noise even when nothing is recording is a mystery to me.

However, I've now got the new V6 boxes, and I can confirm they are significantly quieter. Not silent by any means, but quieter, and the noise they make is a steadier hum that's easier to tune out.

Hope that helps...
0 Kudos
ladycarr
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this, I was beginning to think it was just me.  I haven't recorded anything so I dread to think what the noise will be like if I ever do.  I don't know what a V6 box is but I will look into it.  I feel as if any enjoyment from watching tv has gone at the moment and I'm avoiding it!  I will just have to keep cushioning under the box I think,  and maybe check out other providers to see if there is the same problem elsewhere.  Sometimes technology isn't always an improvement.  I sincerely wish I hadn't answered the call asking me to upgrade.  I doubt Virgin will supply me with the "old" version box now as I believe they are moving everyone on to TIVO. 

Thanks for the information you gave.

0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The V6 box is the new TiVo box that's only just gone on wide scale release in the last few weeks. How much it would cost to update depends on your package - details are on the Virgin website.
0 Kudos