Menu
keanoo
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Noisy 1TB TiVo box

The box has always been noisy but I had even worse problems with previous boxes so I let that slide, but now it's driving me crazy.

The fans are constantly whirring, even when the box is on standby and doing nothing. I can also hear them clicking on and off every few minutes.

The only way to stop it is to turn off at the mains, which is very annoying as then I'll miss recordings and have to wait ages for it to start up again.

Is it possible to get a new box?
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy 1TB TiVo box

keanoo wrote:
The box has always been noisy but I had even worse problems with previous boxes so I let that slide, but now it's driving me crazy.

The fans are constantly whirring, even when the box is on standby and doing nothing. I can also hear them clicking on and off every few minutes.

The only way to stop it is to turn off at the mains, which is very annoying as then I'll miss recordings and have to wait ages for it to start up again.

Is it possible to get a new box?

It is the hard drive that keeps spinning up every few minutes, even in standby. There are no fans. It is so noisy because it is a thin plastic case full of vents. I agree it is very annoying and many of us have reported it but Virgin Media don't seem interested in fixing the firmware. It should only wake up every 6 hours at most and for recordings and not every few minutes.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi keanoo,

Thanks for taking the time to post your concerns.

I'm very sorry to hear your TiVo® box is noisy. As thanks4nothing mentioned, it's the hard drive which keeps making the noise. It shouldn't be happening constantly and you should certainly not be hearing it over your TV.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. All the signal levels going to the TiVo® box are fine. I've also tested the hard drive and this has come back fine with no errors. So I'm not detecting a fault remotely.

Can you hear the noise over the TV?

Has it gone progressively worse over time?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
keanoo
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Rich,

Thank you for replying.

It does seem to have become worse over time, the issue isn't so much that I can hear it over the TV as the TV can be turned up. It's that I can hear it constantly while trying to sleep and it's on standby, the clicking on and off that it does is especially annoying. So it has to be turned off at the mains at night, which is also pretty annoying.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Keanoo :

Thanks for coming back to the team here Smiley Happy I can understand that the noise has become a bit of a nuisance, I would really like to help out here but before we get to a possible replacement here.  The noise can be expected at times, especially when there's a recorded program on or if it is recording a show but as you've mentioned, still there's a noise in Standby.

Sometimes, speaking from my own experience, placing some foam tabs under the feet of the box can help. I know this isn't exactly process but it may help and may work sooner than a visit.

If there's still noise after this then I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page.

take care. 

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos