Menu
Cinders95
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Noise when in standby

Hi there,

My tivo box has started making strange noises whilst in standby mode (i.e when switched off at night), this is a second box in my bedroom so extremely annoying as it keeps waking me up. It almost sounds as though it is deleting recordings or doing updates and it does this constantly every 5 or 10 minutes. Does anyone know why or how I stop this? It isn't deleting items as I have checked the settings and am only at about 28% full. If I switch the device on it stops - but only until it hasn't been used for a while and puts itself in standby & therefore starts again! I cannot switch it off at the mains or it wouldn't record anything - so, stumped!!

Any help gratefully received.

Cindy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noise when in standby

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you've got a noisy box problem!

I've run diagnostics on your equipment and I can see an issue with the signal levels. Although this wouldn't cause the box to be noisy, it's certainly worth getting it looked at. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange for a technician to adjust those levels.

With regard to the noisy box, what kind of surface does it rest on? Also, what kind of noise is it (crunching, clicking, whirring)?

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Cinders95
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh

The box is on a flat surface (tall wooden dresser) with nothing on/under it and has always been there.

The noise starts with a click - like it is turning itself on and then changes to a whirring! This goes on for a while - then it stops. This repeats continuously. I turned the box off at the plug over the weekend - left it off for an hour so & then turned it back on. It seems to have done some kind of an update as it took a while to reload and now the home/guide screens look a bit different. The noise isn't happening as frequently - but both of the boxes seem to be extremely slow in responding to the remote commands.

I will have a look at your private message.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dantege
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I am having the exactly same issue. My tivo box is making noises whilst in standby mode (i.e when switched off at night), also my second box. It almost sounds as though it is deleting recordings or doing updates and it does this constantly every 5 or 10 minutes. Does anyone know why or how I stop this? It isn't deleting items. If I switch the device on it stops - but only until it hasn't been used for a while and puts itself in standby & therefore starts again! please help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi dantege,

Thanks for coming by and welcome to the community. Smiley Happy

I'd like to ask, did both the boxes start doing this at the same time?  If you can let me know I can check this out for you.  

I look forward to hearing from you.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos