Menu
donjulie
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Noise from Tivo boxes on standbye

I have two Tivo boxes. One was only recently replaced due to an intermittent whirring noise when in standbye. Now BOTH boxes have some sort of motor running at infrequent intervals when in STANDBYE mode. The noise is not excessive. But it is a little disturbing as the boxes seem quite warm, making me suspect it is some sort of fan. The worry is that if we leave the boxes during holiday periods, what is happening in our home?

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noise from Tivo boxes on standbye

Is normal for vmedia tivo. The disk waking up every 30 minutes, making clicking loud nose and whizzing few minutes then stopping again. Very annoying, specially during nighttime and not many energy efficiency.
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you guys on the new software?

My box used to be perfectly quiet in standby (would only wake up once every few hours for its scheduled service connection) however after the recent software update when in standby it now spins up for a few seconds every couple of minutes. As its a bedroom box and it can't be good for the hard disk I now leave it on and constantly buffering (like the old days before they added the power saving features a couple of years ago).

Interestingly our living room box which has also been updated is perfectly fine and remains unaffected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
donjulie
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't know about software updates. But both boxes were only recently fitted, one of them only weeks ago. If this is normal the service engineers don't seem to know about it. The box fitted weeks ago was to replace one which made excessive noise which the engineer could not explain.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

donjulie wrote:

I don't know about software updates. But both boxes were only recently fitted, one of them only weeks ago. If this is normal the service engineers don't seem to know about it. The box fitted weeks ago was to replace one which made excessive noise which the engineer could not explain.

I did searching. Found many threads, it is known since many years !!

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-waking-up-from-standby-numerous-t...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/quot-Power-saving-mode-quot-is-a-waste-of-time/td-...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi donjulie

Apologies for the problems you're experiencing with your set top boxes recently, I've been able to locate your account and run some tests on the set top box from our end.

We are detecting some errors with some of the information being returned by both boxes and so I'd like to arrange for an engineer to come and take a closer look, if you're available? It's worth mentioning that if there are problems with the hard drive or fan, then the box can be replaced, which means you would lose any currently recorded content.

I've sent you information regarding an appointment in a private message, which you can view by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi donjulie

I'm just checking in to see how your set top boxes are doing lately?

If you're experiencing any problems, let me know and I'll do what I can to get this resolved.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos