Menu
davetrouser
Superfast
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No sound on ANY recordings

So my TiVo no longer seems to record audio. Picture is fine, and recordings are complete. It's always had a bug where there is sometimes no audio when you first turn it on - changing channel up then back again fixes that. But it never occurred on recordings until now.

As far as I can tell, the channel being recorded doesn't matter. With BBC iPlayer rarely working, this has made the Virgin TV service a little pointless of late. Waited to see if the problem cleared up, but hasn't.

Nothing has changed in terms of set up. No settings have been altered. I think it must have stopped recording audio maybe 2-3 weeks ago now. All the TiVo action sounds work when pausing etc, and live TV is fine.

Any ideas to fix this? 

0 Kudos
davetrouser
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: No sound on ANY recordings

Update: found that disabling Dolby Digital and having PCM Stereo only allows sound to work. However, this is not really a solution, as half the reason for having HD is the better audio.
Anyone know why this happens, and if a box wipe/reset will fix it?
0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

not everything in HD will have a DD soundtrack but... are you using TiVo HDMI to TV HDMI (i.e. not an HDMI to DVI adapter, an you're getting PCM sound the answer is probably No)?

0 Kudos
davetrouser
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

sjp123 wrote:

not everything in HD will have a DD soundtrack but... are you using TiVo HDMI to TV HDMI (i.e. not an HDMI to DVI adapter, an you're getting PCM sound the answer is probably No)?

Yes I know not everything is DD, but the HD programmes I record are 99% DD.

I use the optical output to a receiver amp. It's worked for years regardless of the audio format, but just seems to have stopped picking up DD on HD recordings. Changing the TiVo to PCM only gives sound in stereo on these silent recordings. It seems the DD track is being ignored.

Live TV works fine with DD being output in 5.1.

I need to verify, but I think it's only when the TiVo wakes up to record - as I have had the odd silence issue with Live TV if I turn the box on and it's tuned to an HD channel. Changing the channel and back again fixes that - but that obviously can't happen on an automated recording.

Trying to avoid replacing or wiping the box, as I have a fair bit I haven't viewed yet, and I will lose all my series links.

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

if it is as you fear, I'm thinking disabling all power saving might be your only option - at least it'll prove your theory.

0 Kudos
davetrouser
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So I did some testing. Turns out it can't record any DD audio. Watching a live channel with working DD 5.1, hit record for a few minutes. On playback, no DD - silence unless I put the box into PCM mode.

Looks like a full box reset or replacement :-/

0 Kudos
UsAtHome
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here. See various other posts/threads for the same problem reported at the same time.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi UsAtHome,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with the sound via your recordings.

Have you been able to resolve this since posting or are you still having the issue?

Let me know as if not, we'll happily take a look at things.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

James_W wrote:

Hi

Hi

We're aware that some customers who are using external sound equipment like an amplifiers or surround sound system with their TiVo box connected via an optical connection only, may experience loss of audio on HD channels supporting Dolby Digital 5.1 content. It means the audio from any HD content whether its recorded content, VOD content or watching Live TV will be affected.

Our engineers are currently investigating this issue.

Changing settings on TiVo box to Help & Setting > Settings> Audio> Dolby Digital>Dolby Digital to PCM will restore stereo sound. Alternatively, using the HDMI connection instead of the optical output would restore Dolby Digital.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

James

davetrouser
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, when was that originally posted? Can you link to the thread so we can keep an eye on it?

Thanks for the info.
0 Kudos