Menu
lukepawley
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No TV or Internet at all; no concern from Virgin.

For 6 days now I have had no service at all except for my phone. All the channels on my TV package are dead and I have a flashing heart light on my Tivo. I have no Internet connection at all either. I rang Virgin to explain the predicament and my need to have Internet so that I could complete work at home. The best they came up with was an engineers visit on Tuesday by which time it will have been 8 days with nothing! Such dreadful service! Not only can I not complete work I need to do but I now have to take an afternoon off to be here for when (if) their engineer arrives.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: No TV or Internet at all; no concern from Virgin.

For residential services this is about the "norm" for all operators now, not just Virgin. Special needs customers, & business accounts (for which you pay a premium) are the exception.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
lukepawley
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

To have no TV or Internet service for 8 days without any help from the service provider in question is most certainly not 'the norm'. My service with Sky was not only far more efficient but overall, a much easier experience.

People are sometimes all to readily accepting of appalling customer service in this country and therefore it becomes 'the norm' to be treated with utter contempt by our service providers; they don't need to change because they know that most people will simply roll over and allow themselves to be bullied. It's simply unacceptable that a huge company such as Virgin has no recourse to fix a problem that has been so long affecting not just me, but several users in the local area.

Luckily I have an old sky box that I plugged into the old dish.... guess what? After years without use it is working as a free view box providing a crystal clear image. I guess their equipment is made of studier stuff than Virgin's. I am one user who cannot wait for their contract to end.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Comparing cable to satellite is like comparing chalk to cheese. If the dish still remains correctly aimed, the box, which you own, will usually work correctly after the box picks up the EPG updates. Cable equipment relies on up to 1km of coax cabling, street cabinet amps & digital fibre nodes, all that have to operate within certain tolerances to work correctly.

I have been with cable many years, & signal level issues are rare, but they do happen.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

lukepawley
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

None of that explains the inefficiency of Virgin leaving me without services for a minimum of 8 days though does it?

I would also add that, perhaps if Virgin engineers had bothered to dig the cabling into the ground instead of laying it lazily on the top of the grass with only a plastic sheath as protection from the elements or any other damage (as they have done with mine) those rare losses would be much rarer.

You're correct in your assertion that it is a far more complex system than a satellite fed one, however I still expect it to work regardless as I am paying for it. When it doesn't it should be corrected within days not weeks of the fault occurring. If Virgin cannot fix issues because of the 'complexity' of them which is the message given when checking the service status updates for this area, then perhaps they shouldn't be offering the service at all.
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lukepawley,

Thank you for coming in for the first time, welcome into the Community.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations and wish that one of the team could have been with you sooner. I have been able to check into your services and you can clearly see that there is and SNR, (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage that is affecting your services and any in the local area. I've left some details on the outage below:-

Outage reference:          F004486476

Estimated review date:  10th June 2016

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Same in my area. No tv or internet all day. 2nd time in less than 2 weeks since I was persuaded  to "give VM one last chance". Exchanged notes with others in the area who are well and truly fed up of the awful "service" or lack of it. It's all very well giving huge discounts and other freebies but if they cannot provide a service, why bother?

P.S. Astonished at some of the estimated fix dates they are giving people. I hope they give good compensation for each and every 24 hours.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

lukepawley wrote:
To have no TV or Internet service for 8 days without any help from the service provider in question is most certainly not 'the norm'. My service with Sky was not only far more efficient but overall, a much easier experience.

People are sometimes all to readily accepting of appalling customer service in this country and therefore it becomes 'the norm' to be treated with utter contempt by our service providers; they don't need to change because they know that most people will simply roll over and allow themselves to be bullied. It's simply unacceptable that a huge company such as Virgin has no recourse to fix a problem that has been so long affecting not just me, but several users in the local area.

Luckily I have an old sky box that I plugged into the old dish.... guess what? After years without use it is working as a free view box providing a crystal clear image. I guess their equipment is made of studier stuff than Virgin's. I am one user who cannot wait for their contract to end.

Me too. I have a freesat box which is a million times better that Tivo. I use that for all the free channels all the time with all the benefits of accurate timed recordings (starts and stops when the program does) , fast skip adverts, easier "archiving", plug in external hard drives/usb devices, on demand that works, super quick interface, much better sound/picture, no lip sync issues. Best of all, it just ALWAYS works.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Just as a matter of interest, you say you've been without service for 6 days already - how often during those 6 days did you report the fault to Virgin?

0 Kudos
lukepawley
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Twice, which is once more than I should have to isn't it. Why on earth should I have to report the same fault more than once?

There is no defending the abject incompetence of Virgin and their equally dreadful customer service. As for being told there is indeed an SNR fault with my service by a member of the forum team; I know that already! You may as well have told me that the sea is wet for all the help that comment is. I haven't had service for 8 days so I'm pretty aware there is an issue. You simply need to sort it out! If it is too complex for Virgin to sort then why are they offering a service they are so hopelessly unable to maintain? To have to wait OVER A WEEK for an engineer is a joke.

I, too, was 'invited back'. What a fool I was in leaving Sky for this utter shambles of a service provider.
0 Kudos