Menu
madmck
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No HD content in the Sky Cinema On Demand

I find this annoying that Virgin Media choose to down grade the Tivo box by removing the Sky Cinema HD movies. 90% of them are in SD WHY?.  Tech has now moved on to 4k so the HD should be the norm. I guess this is a marketing ploy to sell the V6 box that has 4k and yes you'll get all in HD and everyone will be thinking wow great.....no its a rip off as Virgin Media do. They don't give you the ITV channels in HD as part of the normal package, their FREEVIEW CHANNELS and you have to pay for them from this lot as part of the XL package. 

0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: No HD content in the Sky Cinema On Demand

This too drives me nuts. Since moving to Virgin from Sky the amount of movies I watch has gone down - I have a nice big telly and sound surround system, and watching SD movies on that seems a waste.

Virgin add SD and HD versions of new movies, then remove the HD version after about a month. They've been doing that for over a year now I believe. To not have recent effects heavy movies such as Star Trek and The Force Awakens in HD seems ludicrous.

We've been told both by Virgin staff on this forum, and staff on the phone that all the HD content will be back 'soon', but Virgin's definition of 'soon' seems to differ from what most people would expect.

I've been trying to get one of the Virgin staff on here to provide an update, but posts in the thread about it are being ignored.

If you phone up and are persistent and get put through to the right person you might get some money back because of this issue - I did. I would still rather have to movies to watch when I want to watch them though!
fredtheted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia have been saying 'soon' for almost a year, but do the new v6 have the same problem or are they capable of receiving full access to HD versions of SkyMovies Ondemand? If they do, what a con the TiVo service has become.

0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No, I've now got the V6 boxes. They are better in many ways, but still hardly any On Demand content in HD.
0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

All I can suggest is you do like I did and call them up and complain that this has been like this for a year and you keep being told it will be back soon etc.
They issued a £9 reduction on my package for 12 months due to this and that expires May 1st.

I can't believe we are so near to that 12 month payment expiring and seemingly no nearer a resolution.

I have a V6 and the content is just the same so it does make a mockery of the fact it is suitable for 4K when there is so little HD content available that we pay for and don't say we don't Virgin and say On Demand is a freebie.....
0 Kudos
fredtheted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Nice gesture that it is, a refund does NOT resolve the issue of the missing HD content from SkyMovies Ondemand and am seriously considering going over to Sky.

0 Kudos
madmck
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I sent a message on the Facebook page, and also included, we have to pay for the ITV HD channels because their not included in the basic package WHY?, THEIR FREE . This was my answer..   Licensing from the broadcaster determines what we can air and have on our On Demand.

The content is the same regardless of the equipment.

Freeview doesn't mean that a channel is free. Freeview is a supplier much like ourselves, so if their model / licensing agreements allow them to do so then that's what they'll do.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the next time you go to the pub and someone says "A FREE DRINK" doesn't mean its actually free.

0 Kudos
mess2001
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This has been bothering me for a while now. I have a 4K TV and only being able to watch on demand content in SD in 2017 is just a joke, any signs of this improving 

0 Kudos
Rabangus
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think the only way this is going to get sorted is if enough people phone up and insist on getting money off due to lack of service. If it starts hitting them in the pocket they might do something about it.

This all stems from their poor servers/ network that just can't cope with the demand HD movies puts on them. I'm guessing that if Sky do lose the Discovery channels (as threatened) in a few days that might prompt an influx of more customers to Virgin, putting even more strain on their servers, so I for one am doubtful there will be a resolution any time soon. 

They are still having trouble with the limited HD offering they do have (I STILL can't stream the Jungle Book in HD), so I doubt they will be expanding their HD content in the foreseeable. 

It is disgusting, and I do feel aggrieved that I was told the On Demand content was in HD at the time I signed up, but that was an exaggeration at best...

0 Kudos
mess2001
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

do we know if its their severs/network or is it just sky not giving them rights to HD movies after a month as many have suggested. when i do come across a HD movie it works flawlessly 

0 Kudos