Menu
rcoley
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Newbie to Virgin

Hi all, I'm due to have my install on the 13th Aug in the B13 area of Birmingham. I just have a few questions.

Wondering what anyone elses experiences are in this area?

Also, are there any things I should be aware of for the day of the install? 

Also, I understand that Virgin do daily updates to the TiVo box?

When I first get the TiVo box, how long will it take to update itself so I can use it?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Newbie to Virgin

Welcome - what a lovely post, from someone who wants to get prepared. Check out this link.

http://my.virginmedia.com/discover/welcome.html

If I have one piece of advice for you it is this. Make sure you have settled on where your TV is going to live, and where you want your broadband modem and master phone socket  installed. My TV is downstairs but the BB modem/phone socket is installed upstairs in my office.  And make sure you tell the VM tech who comes to do the install what you want. Within reason they will meet your wishes.

Actually I have another piece of advice - and you may have to be a little firm on this. The install guys are NOT supposed to leave until you and they are sure that all your services are working properly. Make sure they are.

The TIVO takes a while to update it's setting on a fresh installation but you should get the channels quickly with the EPG updating over time.

You've found the Forum. Don't be a stranger for any issues you have.

It should all go well on the day. Enjoy your new services

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A slight update to the great welcome that Howard has extended.

The TiVo updates around four times a day, rather than just once over night.

As Howard says, please come back if you need further help or advice.

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Based on my own installation experience, the sub-contractors who do the installations for VM tend to work as fast as possible (I think they must be on some sort of incentive scheme LOL) and will cut a few corners if they can.  If they drill through your outside wall, make sure that they seal any holes around the cable with a silicone gun ... my guys were all set to leave without bothering.

If they are installing phone for you, make sure they fit a new Master phone socket and don't attempt to re-use any existing BT one.

Run a Speed Test on your PC before they leave to ensure you've got a good connection with hopefully the right power levels ... http://www.speedtest.net/

Hope it all goes well.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Welcome - what a lovely post, from someone who wants to get prepared. Check out this link.

http://my.virginmedia.com/discover/welcome.html

If I have one piece of advice for you it is this. Make sure you have settled on where your TV is going to live, and where you want your broadband modem and master phone socket  installed. My TV is downstairs but the BB modem/phone socket is installed upstairs in my office.  And make sure you tell the VM tech who comes to do the install what you want. Within reason they will meet your wishes.

Actually I have another piece of advice - and you may have to be a little firm on this. The install guys are NOT supposed to leave until you and they are sure that all your services are working properly. Make sure they are.

The TIVO takes a while to update it's setting on a fresh installation but you should get the channels quickly with the EPG updating over time.

You've found the Forum. Don't be a stranger for any issues you have.

It should all go well on the day. Enjoy your new services

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
rcoley
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Morning HowardML

Thank you for the reply, I will look at the link you have provided. 

I have the various positioning all sorted, I'm just going to mirror my Sky positioning for the TV and the BT broadband positioning as this seemed to work well previously.

I will definitely state that I want them to stay until everything is working properly (tv is working in both rooms and the broadband is up and running and I can connect to it)

Am I correct in my thinking that the TiVo receives updates daily? And software updates automatically? And that I shouldn't turn it off (similar to Sky)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cool - TiVo updates nightly ; in the early hours of the morning. When you get your TiVO you should leave it on (Standby) for the best results all the time. You may have to go into its settings to do this or ask the tech to do it for you. Our TiVo is virtually faultless and is set up this way.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A slight update to the great welcome that Howard has extended.

As Howard says, please come back if you need further help or advice.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

I didn't know that!  Thanks Ernie_C. Kudos to you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Based on my own installation experience, the sub-contractors who do the installations for VM tend to work as fast as possible (I think they must be on some sort of incentive scheme LOL) and will cut a few corners if they can.  If they drill through your outside wall, make sure that they seal any holes around the cable with a silicone gun ... my guys were all set to leave without bothering.

If they are installing phone for you, make sure they fit a new Master phone socket and don't attempt to re-use any existing BT one.

Run a Speed Test on your PC before they leave to ensure you've got a good connection with hopefully the right power levels ... http://www.speedtest.net/

Hope it all goes well.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:

Ernie_C wrote:

I didn't know that!  Thanks Ernie_C. Kudos to you.

Howard, you can confirm this by looking in System Info where it documents the last successful service connection and when the next one is scheduled.

0 Kudos