Menu
Jothompsdn
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New customer not impressed!

I have recently joined virgin from sky and I have to say I am not impressed. In the last few days I have had to restart my TiVo box everyday sometimes twice as I keep getting either error 319 or c501 when I want to watch on demand services!

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer not impressed!

You need to phone & report it.
ken1407
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry...but get use to it... Tivo is crap in comparison to Sky.  Just start counting the days till you can leave.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you are within 14 days of signing up you should be able to cancel without penalty.
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ken1407 wrote:

Sorry...but get use to it... Tivo is crap in comparison to Sky.  Just start counting the days till you can leave.

I have to disagree, moved to Sky last year and currently counting down the days till I can move back, the SkyQ box is missing so many features that the TiVo has.

heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tavis75 wrote:

ken1407 wrote:

I have to disagree, moved to Sky last year and currently counting down the days till I can move back, the SkyQ box is missing so many features that the TiVo has.

Would you mind highlighting the features TiVo has which are missing on the SkyQ box. This is a genuine question... I have been with Virgin Media and its predecessors for almost 25 years... but I am so fed up with the faults, glitches and service I have been experiencing the last 6 months or so, that I am starting to look at other options (not just Sky). 

So any info/feedback would be appreciated. 

Many thanks.... 

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

heavysoul wrote:

Tavis75 wrote:

ken1407 wrote:

Would you mind highlighting the features TiVo has which are missing on the SkyQ box. This is a genuine question... I have been with Virgin Media and its predecessors for almost 25 years... but I am so fed up with the faults, glitches and service I have been experiencing the last 6 months or so, that I am starting to look at other options (not just Sky). 

Many thanks.... 

The biggest annoyance is that Sky does not remember series links when a series ends, which is incredibly annoying as it means you have to keep scanning the schedules for re-starting series (bad enough for the main channels and even worse if it's a program that's tucked away on an obscure channel). Beyond that; Wishlists, Suggestions, multi-channel buffering, auto-scheduling of recordings, very limited control over series links (basically you just pick a showing and it will record that one each week\day, but it won't pick up other showings), the TV guide only goes one week into the future and you also can't check scheduled and recorded shows from the app (unless you pay for multi-screen, for some reason) You also don't get the Series Link+ functionality that pulls stuff in from Netflix etc. (if that's of interest). 

Only thing I've found better about it is the speed, but that's in comparison to the old TiVo not the V6.

edit - Oh, and it's got an annoying thing that to exit a recording you press the "Back" button, which takes you back to that program within the menu but then to get back from there to the main menu you have to use the "Left" button, if you press back again it just drops you out into live TV and you have to then navigate back to the menu.

heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tavis75 wrote:

heavysoul wrote:

Tavis75 wrote:

ken1407 wrote:

Many thanks.... 

The biggest annoyance is that Sky does not remember series links when a series ends, which is incredibly annoying as it means you have to keep scanning the schedules for re-starting series (bad enough for the main channels and even worse if it's a program that's tucked away on an obscure channel). Beyond that; Wishlists, Suggestions, multi-channel buffering, auto-scheduling of recordings, very limited control over series links (basically you just pick a showing and it will record that one each week\day, but it won't pick up other showings), the TV guide only goes one week into the future and you also can't check scheduled and recorded shows from the app (unless you pay for multi-screen, for some reason) You also don't get the Series Link+ functionality that pulls stuff in from Netflix etc. (if that's of interest). 

Only thing I've found better about it is the speed, but that's in comparison to the old TiVo not the V6.

edit - Oh, and it's got an annoying thing that to exit a recording you press the "Back" button, which takes you back to that program within the menu but then to get back from there to the main menu you have to use the "Left" button, if you press back again it just drops you out into live TV and you have to then navigate back to the menu.

That's really useful... thank you. It's amazing that what seems like little things, can be a real pain when you'd think this kind of functionality should be simple and just work! 

As I mentioned in my original post, I've had cable TV for yonks... so it would be a big change for me to move elsewhere. I think I will wait for an upgrade to the V6 and see how that all goes. Thanks again... 

0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I really hope you havent recently been given a TIVO box? they are too old and can't seem to keep up with the graphics and data demands of the system, I have two of them and they have ground to a virtual halt over the last 2 years.

0 Kudos
ken1407
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Understand it is a personal preference ultimately, but can't think of any Tivo feature I would miss.

I hate ...and I mean hate using the user interface, waiting 30sec+ for the user guide to load.  Slow and clunky menus, pixelation on programs frequently. Navigation of box sets or movies is horrendous. Randomly recording programs that I have no interest in. I could go on...but think you get the message. 

The current Tivo box (not the V6 which they want to charge me 100quid plus to get something that almost works) is just crap. 

I've had Tivo for a few months, so my initial disappointment has mellowed into just plain loathing.  I watch far less TV than I ever have. I now use my smart TV features - BBC Iplayer or Netflix - trying to use that on the Tivo box is a complete joke...it takes minutes to load...and I mean several minutes!

Even the stupid remote annoys me...never knowing which way up it is.