Menu
dagwood
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New change. No subtitles..?

Hi,

obviously just seen seen the upgrades to Virgin as been on holiday. No user manuall given again just a grin and bear it approach...

However, as I am searching through the "new look"  channels there does not seem to be any access to subtitles...

May I ask a big WHY.

I have been asking this question from Virgin, Ntlworld and previous incarnations why they are not available? 

The he only response is that they are not supplied and they cost extra, or they cannot fit into the current compression stream?

which one is it as there are Deaf and hard of hearing people that pay for a good service from Virgin? And yet are still being short changed after decades of ODTV.

so I for one as coming from a family of Deaf and Hard of hearing people what is the excuse now we are in 2016. Twenty years away from when I started complaining about subtitle and fair access for all?

seems like nothing has changed in favour of non hearing people..!

Virgin...

I await your response

Howe

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New change. No subtitles..?

There has been no change to subtitle availability on broadcast channels, nor how they are accessed. Where a broadcast channel has subtitles available you can access them.

For On Demand the situation is again as before. Virgin Media's On Demand service has the technical capability of including subtitles, but it's up to the content providers to supply them.

However as before subtitles are currently only available from TiVo apps such as iPlayer and Netflix.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
dagwood
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So. 

I know now from years of asking... Hence the comment of price previous. That subtitles are provided at an extra cost to companies such as Virgin, Sky, etc. It is up to those companies to pay the extra for that service..? My question is why not?

Also, there has been the instance of programmes being shown on Bbc, itv, c4 with subtitles... Yet you do not show them.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi dagwood, 

Thanks for your post apologies to hear you've not had much luck viewing some of your favourite shows with subtitles. 

Whenever the broadcaster offers subtitles we will include them. 

You can learn more about Subtitles and what we do by looking here: Accessibility on TiVo®

If you have any further questions, come back and let us know Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos