Menu
tumi
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New VM 4K Box

I hope that when the new box comes along it will be free for existing users. Since the recent Tivo upgrade, what was an incredibly slow UI has now become almost dormant; it takes forever to do anything. VM are asking the existing box to do too much - just to have pretty pictures. I just want the box to provide a timely service, and I'm sure I'm not alone. (There may way be other improvements in the latest upgrade, I don't have the patience to find them!)

Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New VM 4K Box

tumi wrote:

I hope that when the new box comes along it will be free for existing users. Since the recent Tivo upgrade, what was an incredibly slow UI has now become almost dormant; it takes forever to do anything. VM are asking the existing box to do too much - just to have pretty pictures. I just want the box to provide a timely service, and I'm sure I'm not alone. (There may way be other improvements in the latest upgrade, I don't have the patience to find them!)

Agreed. I bet most just want a fit for purpose box and won't pay £100's more for features they don't want, to watch Coronation Street and Eastenders. I think it's the end of the line for a lot of people.

Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One things for sure it won't be free to existing users! It never is until several years down the line. Sky Q is expensive to existing users and I guess is designed to pull in new customers. Same with new VM box I should think. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would imagine a different scenario- kind of like the two tier system there is with VHD and TiVo, the new box will be for more expensive packages.

If you do some reading around what the financials are for it, and what projected earnings are doing, there is no great expectation of an influx of customers in Q4. That doesn't fit with an over the top Q style launch, more a soft launch to defined market segments.

The box does not have the same hardware costs as SKY's offering from what I can gather, so is unlikely to be in the same sort of ballpark charging wise.  VM have been leveraging the rental model, rather than trying to get an upfront "big hit" on costs when upgrading. So I would expect that to continue..

So bottom line is I would expect the new box will be available for a modest increase in monthly fee. But thats all guess work

0 Kudos
Leyland
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

While I don't mind paying a sensible amount as a one-off charge to upgrade the hardware, I have seen suggestions that the monthly service charge will also increase. Have I got that wrong?

__
2 x TiVo 1TB & 512GB - XL Package | BT Infinity :-) | Retired IT Professional :-) :-)
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Leyland wrote:

While I don't mind paying a sensible amount as a one-off charge to upgrade the hardware, I have seen suggestions that the monthly service charge will also increase. Have I got that wrong?

Everything you read at the moment, particularly with regard to pricing, is suggestions as there has been no announcement from VM yet. 

The discussions on pricing over on Cable Forum are becoming farcical, disagreements over hypothetical figures.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think the key factor is going to be availability of content and what other features it introduces Vs how many people VM want to lock in to a new platform. ... UHD content is VERY thin on the ground, lets face it the standard has not even been properly agreed yet.  So either the box has to have some other WOW features or the price has to be low if they want any sort of market penetration.

The problem with that is, what other features can they introduce?

Streaming to more devices? Streaming to other devices is a function of licence agreements, not a limitation of TiVo hardware.

More storage space? Pretty much irrelevant on TiVo as there is always the constant possibility of losing your content when it goes thingys up...

MOAR TUNERS? In the day and age of catch-up and on demand how many tuners a box packs is not as relevant...

So we are basically left with "IT's UHD" - which without content is the emperors new clothes...remember 3D?

tumi
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well my current Tivo box is now working "as was", i.e. slow but liveable with. I've done nothing so I assume VM did something in the background. Thanks, it almost seems supersonic compared to the last couple of weeks.

0 Kudos
tumi
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Commented too soon, Tivo back to snail pace. Why are there such inconsistencies? I hope the forthcoming price increase goes towards a new box. I don't like helping to pay for VM to establish a greater customer base (wiring new streets etc.) especially when the current service is so dated. 

0 Kudos