Menu
stiv1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New Tivo box

We received our new Tivo box and set it up on Sunday. hard drive pulsing on and off very annoyingly constantly when watching normal t.v. phoned 150 and arranged for technician to call today between 16.00 and 19.00 and re-arranged our schedule to suit, its 20.15 and we are still waiting and no called to let us know update, if this is how Virgin treat their customers with faulty units and poor technical service I will be looking to see what Sky have to offer.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Tivo box

Hello stiv1,

Very sorry to hear this has happened and I would like to welcome you to the community.

I have been able to locate your account and I can see you have called in to rescheduled the appointment so please let me know how you get on or if you require any further help after your technician visit.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stiv1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The technician good as he was could not reduce the noise. I find it hard to  believe that such units with the noise they have are being supplied to customers. it is actually like having tinnitus. is there any chance I can go back to the standard unit without fan and hard drive, that would resolve the initial problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stiv1,

Thank you for your message back on how the engineer went.

Noise as you know will always exists when there are moving parts such as a hard drive, the overall design isn't something that we're able to change for you, as much as it would be nice. When the engineer arrived and tried to reduce the noise, did they mention such measures to reduce  this, such as rubber feet or placing it on something that will absorb sound?

Please stay in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
stiv1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

still not good enough, as asked previously can you supply me with a unit with no hard drive or fan please, my precious one was perfect for years until this new version was FORCED upon us.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stiv1,

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

All of our TiVo's come with hard drive and fans to keep the devices cool. There are no models without fans or solid state drives at this moment. I am sorry that this isn't what you wanted to hear. If this is becoming noisier than the TV then we can change the box for a quieter one.

Stay in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
stiv1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

it is not noisier than the t.v but you can here it with the t.v, the mrs says its like old type central heating pipes pumping away. I am seriously going to have to see if your competitors offer a quieter box. out of your many customers using these units I cannot believe I am the only customer with concerns over the noise.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

stiv1 wrote:

...hard drive pulsing on and off very annoyingly constantly when watching normal t.v. ...

When you say watching normal TV - do you mean you have the box in standby and watching Freeview (for example)? If so and it is constantly spinning up and down whilst in standby you could be suffering from this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Keeps-Spinning-Up-Down/m-p/323206...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BenD_H wrote:

Hi Stiv1,

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

All of our TiVo's come with hard drive and fans to keep the devices cool. There are no models without fans or solid state drives at this moment. I am sorry that this isn't what you wanted to hear. If this is becoming noisier than the TV then we can change the box for a quieter one.

Stay in touch.

Ben

I don't know if you have ever used one but VM Tivos have never had any fans. Not even for cooling Smiley Very Happy

stiv1
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

while there is a quiet part in what I am watching the units background noise is enough to spoil it. when you are watching a quiet part of a show you should expect silence. we cannot get used to it.