Menu
bsuttie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New Tivo User - first thoughts

Had our two ancient V+ boxes changed for Tivos about 10 days ago.

Very disappointed with the result. We were told we were upgrading to the latest cutting edge technology.

That's not our experience.

Having got used to the minor changes in operation (some we like, some we don't) we are left with :

Incredibly slow boxes, particularly when trying to load apps.

App performance dreadful compared to other boxes we have like Apple TV or games consoles.

Stuttering and buffering issues on iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube (yes fully aware of recent specific issue with YouTube).

But it seems like everything done through the route that these apps use struggles.

Multi Room streaming does not work on the majority of channels, and isn't available on any of the major channels so is of no practical use - have tried every recording on both our boxes and get a message saying I'm not allowed to play it via streaming.

And I now read that the optical out (which I do use on one box) is broken on the most recent firmware.

I think we've been misled, this isn't an upgrade, it's a definite downgrade. 

So, have to make the decision as to whether we continue paying a premium price for what seems to be a fatally flawed service, or switch to alternatives.

Does anyone know of anything in the pipeline that's actually going to improve the Tivo experience? Like a box built for today rather than 5 years ago that we'll get a free upgrade to? Or ongoing negotiations with the major broadcasters to allow multi room streaming?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight.

Brian

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
dave2660
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Tivo User - first thoughts

The current TiVo box was designed and first built around 5 years ago, so it's no surprise that it may be looking a bit slow and tired by today's standards. There have been some rumours that a new model is in development, but those are just rumours.

The box isn't particularly fast, and is probably a lot slower to load apps that other devices you've used. But if it it too slow, especially if you've got problems with some of the apps buffering, then it may be either a signal issue or some local network congestion. A member of staff on here should be able to check that for you.

It seems that most broadcasters aren't too keen on allowing multi room streaming. There's probably not a lot Virgin Media can do about that, so it's a potentially useful feature that's been ruined by the broadcasters.

The optical out issue should be a simple software fix, but Virgin Media don't have a great track record when it comes to releasing bug fix updates, so there's no way to know how long it will take to fix.

0 Kudos

All Replies
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you are having disruption with Youtube, iPlayer and Netflix, perhaps you require your signal strengths to be tested - I use the first two apps and have no issues.
0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The current TiVo box was designed and first built around 5 years ago, so it's no surprise that it may be looking a bit slow and tired by today's standards. There have been some rumours that a new model is in development, but those are just rumours.

The box isn't particularly fast, and is probably a lot slower to load apps that other devices you've used. But if it it too slow, especially if you've got problems with some of the apps buffering, then it may be either a signal issue or some local network congestion. A member of staff on here should be able to check that for you.

It seems that most broadcasters aren't too keen on allowing multi room streaming. There's probably not a lot Virgin Media can do about that, so it's a potentially useful feature that's been ruined by the broadcasters.

The optical out issue should be a simple software fix, but Virgin Media don't have a great track record when it comes to releasing bug fix updates, so there's no way to know how long it will take to fix.

0 Kudos
bsuttie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies

Tried to watch a movie on Netflix last night. Got about half way through but no further. Had to switch to my son's games console to watch the rest of the film which worked perfectly. Tried to watch Tivo after this but it was saying it couldn't connect to the network - C133? error. Tried multiple times to reconnect but failed. Rebooting the box did fix it. Still couldn't watch YouTube smoothly - seems to pause momentarily every few seconds, occasionally coming up with a "loading" message. Verified that the second box is exactly the same.

Brian

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Brian

Welcome to the Virgin Media Community, I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing with your new TiVo box.

I'd like to take a closer look at this from our end for you, if we're detecting an issue with your service then we'll be able to arrange for action to be taken for you.

To allow me to take a closer look, could you respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information? You can view the message by clicking the red envelope on the top left of this page.

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, agree with "slowness" comments as I also came from the V+ box some time ago.

As for iPlayer and Netflix they lag and buffer as well on the TiVo.

However on the Sony Bluray they are 100% better, both starting and running without buffering.

As for the optical out problem, I've not heard of this?  Can someone give a link to the relevant thread post?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
bsuttie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not the only one.

Here's the thread I found about the optical out : 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/No-sound-on-recordings-and-after-pausing-or-rewinding-tv/td...

Although there are others.

regards

Brian

0 Kudos