Menu
JESSIE1231
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New TiVo customer- stuck on Starting Up screen

Hi,  I'm a brand new customer.  Followed the installation instructions to the letter and then called the number provided to activate, from a neighbours phone (I missed Virgin phone engineer the other day as was NOT notified anyone was coming!)  The man I spoke to confirmed my service was now activated and he'd sent the appropriate signals to me.

After 3 hours, my TV screen was still stuck on the "Starting up" screen, and the TiVo box from what I can gather is on standby (red light on the right on and a flashing blue one next to it)  I've followed the instructions to alter this issue with standby mode but nothing is working.

After 3 hours and reading extensively in these forums (have tried rebooting everything a couple of times) it is still not getting past the "Starting up" screen.  I've no phone service to call the number provided for these issues- changing everything over to Virgin/cancelled service with old provider so out of touch phone wise!  I still have a signal from my old broadband provider even though I've cancelled it, hence being able to post here.  I tried numerous times last night before 8pm to instigate an online chat on the Virgin website for help but it kept telling me to try later as all helpers were busy.  I've tried again today but apparently the chat service isn't open.  

I ran a "check service" diagnostics last night via the website regarding my TV service and it said that my "account had been suspended" (not sure why- not had a bill yet!!)  and I was to call the number provided (I can't as I've no phone service yet!!)  I tried a diagnostics check again today and it said "we are working on your service please wait 10 minutes and try again".  That was 5 hours ago!!  The website won't let me "check my service" again as I've apparently used up all of my permitted goes for today!  I'm still not getting any further than the start up screen :-/

Not a good start whatsoever with Virgin Media, especially as I am recuperating fro surgery and am immobile- was so looking forward to having my new TV service and being able to call friends and family to update them with my health- it's not happening and I'm regretting switching over already!  Been twiddling my thumbs since yesterday.  Please help!!

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TiVo customer- stuck on Starting Up screen

Hi Jessie

I'm sorry but can't offer any help, I'm sure someone will be along soon. I just wanted to welcome you and to ensure you that your post has been read.

JESSIE1231
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Steph- that's very kind of you.  Its just very frustrating as I'm laid up after an op so am twiddling my thumbs and can't call up the help number, having cancelled everything to switch over to Virgin :-(  I have incoming calls only on my mobile due to this via my old provider, no landline (I missed the Virgin engineer the other day as I wasn't informed via email or text he was coming!) and the helpdesk chat service doesn't appear to be open on Sundays.  It should have been a very smooth transition but its been nothing but stressy problems since I ordered!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jessie,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new TiVo®. Not the best start!

I've located your account and I can see you've had a technician to sort this out for you. How'd the appointment go?

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

All the best Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
JESSIE1231
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your response.  I did indeed have a technician sent out so after a very rocky start (no phone/TV and luckily an old broadband connection) I am now up and running.  The technician was great and a credit to your company- the phone technician was only due out on 2nd December but he sorted that issue out while he was here, as well and broadband and TV- a great guy who like I said, is a credit to VM.  I forget his name though he did tell me- I know he's a neibour too and his little girl goes to the primary school that my house overlooks so am keeping an eye out for him so I can get his name and email his line manager and indeed your CEO to sing his praises  (can you help in this regard?).  Credit where credit is due and all that :-)  If it hadn't have been for this young man, I'd have cancelled my contract and gone elsewhere but he restored my faith!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jessie,

That's amazing! It's awesome to hear about our guys in the field, especially when they do this well!

I have his technician ID assigned to the appointment so I can find out who his manager is and send him your praise. I'll let you know when I get a response.

I'm so glad to hear you're up and running. Please come back to us if you get any more trouble and we'll get right on it!

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

PS. We all wish you a speedy recovery!

0 Kudos
JESSIE1231
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you- I'm much obliged Josh.  He went over and beyond what he was called out to do so I'm delighted.  I'll also write to your CEO to sing his praises- I do believe in doing things like to balance out the moaning episodes :-)  I worked in many call centre roles while training as a lawyer and it is so nice to get that email from the powers that be when someone speaks highly about the service you've provided.  Thanks again and I look forward to hearing that this great lad has had a wee pat on the back :-)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JESSIE1231,

I think it would be a great idea to write in to us too! Good work is it's own reward but it's nice to have a pat on the back too Smiley Very Happy.

I've just had an email back from the field manager. He's confirmed the technician's details and will be passing on the feedback!

Thanks again for letting us know!

All the best Smiley Very Happy

Josh

0 Kudos
jonathanlouis
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

is one of these a quick start kit where you install the box i did that on the first night it arrived set it up rang the number given they wernt helpful sent signals to box but it stopped on start up check list and message popped up saying the hard drive as serious fault please ring in then it went all green so i couldnt get anywhere there was questions being transfered so i didnt understand how to go on in setting up jonni
0 Kudos