Menu
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

New - NetFlix: Download and go service, on TiVo Service?

Hi,

I received an email today from NetFlix stating that I could update my apps and use the "Download and Go Service". - Will this ever be tied in with TiVo at all?

Obviously, you're not going to take movies around with you on TiVo, but it would fix issues, when there are network issues, etc since the movies over take 500Mb each, well that was what it showed up on an iPad I used earlier, this morning.

The TiVo NetFlix App does have a ridiculous startup time, surely this would be a lot faster when it is accessed from the HDD, and not waiting for movies that buffer now and again.

Mostly, everyone is complaining about NetFlix TiVo App, and with good reason.

I refuse to watch NetFlix on TiVo lately, it's tedious watching the loading screen just for the App!

I use an Amazon FireTV Stick, it takes a few seconds to startup, which is much better and so much faster!

Regards,

Les.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New - NetFlix: Download and go service, on TiVo Service?

Hi Les

I think this is highly unlikely as other providers like BBC iPlayer & Amazon Prime Video have only added download options to apps on portable devices, but not on consoles or Smart TVs so I'd expect Netflix to be the same.

I'm not defending the poor service on the Tivo, like you I have moved to another device (PS4) to watch streaming content rather than the Tivo, and hopefully things will improve.

I suspect however that the main focus for VM will be on the new V6 box from now on which by all accounts works quickly and has no difficulty streaming from Netflix, etc.  Maybe if you complain to the retentions team enough about Netflix being poor on your current Tivo they will arrange a new V6 box.  This has worked in the past with the old Superhub 1 when customers pointed out the poor wireless was not fit for purpose and they got a newer hub.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Les

I think this is highly unlikely as other providers like BBC iPlayer & Amazon Prime Video have only added download options to apps on portable devices, but not on consoles or Smart TVs so I'd expect Netflix to be the same.

I'm not defending the poor service on the Tivo, like you I have moved to another device (PS4) to watch streaming content rather than the Tivo, and hopefully things will improve.

I suspect however that the main focus for VM will be on the new V6 box from now on which by all accounts works quickly and has no difficulty streaming from Netflix, etc.  Maybe if you complain to the retentions team enough about Netflix being poor on your current Tivo they will arrange a new V6 box.  This has worked in the past with the old Superhub 1 when customers pointed out the poor wireless was not fit for purpose and they got a newer hub.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

echelom
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

I now see it from a different perspective, I assumed even with NetFlix movies will use a form of DRM like most do. I cannot check with Amazon Prime Video, I no longer subscribe to it. We let our
It would be nice to see the Amazon Prime Video App on TiVo, many people prefer it, compared to NetFlix. The TiVo in it's current state is just useless, which is why we have Amazon FireTV Sticks streaming Movies and Box sets from NetFlix.

The new V6 box is something I will not be paying for, VM did that with TiVo box when it first come out - we pay enough to Virginmedia as it is, then seeing the price they want for the V6 box - well, my contract will run out and that is when I will return the TiVo. I'm happy with IPTV via the FireTV Sticks, which we have 4 of, because we have 4 NetFlix streams in HD in the subscription.

Regards,
Les.

0 Kudos