Menu
Argofor
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

New BBC3

Now that BBC3 has moved to iPlayer, is it possible to record their shows using TiVo, if so, how

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New BBC3

The Tivo can only record broadcast shows, not on demand shows from iPlayer.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Argofor
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK thanks, that is what I thought, but wanted to check

Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All new programmes made for BBC3 will be shown on BBC1/2 at some stage, so you can record then. Not that they make anything worth recording - tried watching Cuckoo repeated on BBC1 - very poor.
0 Kudos
G4IJL
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Goto www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer on your computer  Try then to download a program from BBC3 you will be asked to download the BBC Iplayer if you do not have it, do so. You may keep programmes for about a month. When the viewing time limit is reached the programme auto deletes. So instead of watching the telly you watch the computer. If you want to watch now you can do that too, you watch the web page as it were.

I suspect in a few years time no television programmes will be available on your telly's ViVo box or free view either. All the telly will be on the web and you will watch the programme on your  computer. With Skype you can phone this way now. It's a thing called convergence. You will need to be good with a computer, smart phone or tablet in the future I think anyway. Every communication will be on the web, whatever Telly, radio, phone or web page you use.

Strathclyde
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I disagree. Despite the massive hype, the amount of "TV" viewing via the web is still a very small proportion of the total TV viewing. TV Broadacsting is NOT about to die. 

Distributing mass-audience programmes via the internet is very inefficient, and in any case doesn't reach rural (or even semi-rural) populations at all well. The internet infrastructure is nowhere near capable of delivering the capacity required for an all-IP delivered range of services.

By contrast, satellite and terrestrial broadcasts can reach vast audiences with zero incremental broadcast cost nor loss of quality as the numbers of viewers increases. Set-top boxes like Tivo provide the timeshifting that represents a lot more usage than the total of non-live viewing.

Broadband delivery comes into its own in delivering to smaller audiences historic or niche programmes/channels very cheaply on a per-viewer basis.

So, the future will surely be a combination of broadcast and internet delivery. The business models, both of creation of content and separately provision of programmes, will drive what users actually buy and use..

At the moment, we are in a very confusing situation, with lots of parties trying to muscle in and take over the traditional  "broadcast" market. Most of the newcomers have seriously flawed business models, and charging regimes which are grossly inconsistent across their own range of 'bundles'. 

Meanwhile, the broadcasters and the TV broadcast platforms (Virgin, Sky, Freeview etc) aren't sitting still. They are adapting their approaches and delivering, using combinations of new technologies, a  viewer-friendly range of offerings. And they start off with viable business models, which are holding up very well.

My money is on a combination of broadcast platforms + increasingly sophisticated set-top boxes which integrate the best of all the new offerings - but without the viewer having to work out just how many suppliers you need to contract with to get what you want, and then maintain it. 

chrisjames
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The BBC has put BBC3 online only because it saves a substantial amount of money. As stated, the only drawback is that the TV can no longer record its programmes. Every reasonable TV being sold now is a "Smart" one and connecting to the internet throws up many more channels on Freeview, and on Tivo (Virgin with its own dedicated broadband connection).  Once the technology is there to record channels broadcast this way, and with broadband speeds of 200 being the norm, then I hear the death knell for terrestial TV, but superfast broadband has to extend to all of the country first but that could well be achieved by mobile data - 4G and counting.   Some way off but that's the future.

C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You could also then connect your computer to the TV via HDMI assuming you have a laptop and that connection, or mayby Google Chromecast

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Tivo can only record broadcast shows, not on demand shows from iPlayer.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Argofor
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks, still not clear if its possible to access a new BBC3 programme through iPlayer, obviously through TiVo, and record it or set up to record a future programme

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure which part of my answer was not clear.  You can't record any iPlayer content onto the Tivo.

0 Kudos
Argofor
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK thanks, that is what I thought, but wanted to check

Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All new programmes made for BBC3 will be shown on BBC1/2 at some stage, so you can record then. Not that they make anything worth recording - tried watching Cuckoo repeated on BBC1 - very poor.
0 Kudos
G4IJL
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Goto www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer on your computer  Try then to download a program from BBC3 you will be asked to download the BBC Iplayer if you do not have it, do so. You may keep programmes for about a month. When the viewing time limit is reached the programme auto deletes. So instead of watching the telly you watch the computer. If you want to watch now you can do that too, you watch the web page as it were.

I suspect in a few years time no television programmes will be available on your telly's ViVo box or free view either. All the telly will be on the web and you will watch the programme on your  computer. With Skype you can phone this way now. It's a thing called convergence. You will need to be good with a computer, smart phone or tablet in the future I think anyway. Every communication will be on the web, whatever Telly, radio, phone or web page you use.

G4IJL
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Strathclyde
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I disagree. Despite the massive hype, the amount of "TV" viewing via the web is still a very small proportion of the total TV viewing. TV Broadacsting is NOT about to die. 

Distributing mass-audience programmes via the internet is very inefficient, and in any case doesn't reach rural (or even semi-rural) populations at all well. The internet infrastructure is nowhere near capable of delivering the capacity required for an all-IP delivered range of services.

By contrast, satellite and terrestrial broadcasts can reach vast audiences with zero incremental broadcast cost nor loss of quality as the numbers of viewers increases. Set-top boxes like Tivo provide the timeshifting that represents a lot more usage than the total of non-live viewing.

Broadband delivery comes into its own in delivering to smaller audiences historic or niche programmes/channels very cheaply on a per-viewer basis.

So, the future will surely be a combination of broadcast and internet delivery. The business models, both of creation of content and separately provision of programmes, will drive what users actually buy and use..

At the moment, we are in a very confusing situation, with lots of parties trying to muscle in and take over the traditional  "broadcast" market. Most of the newcomers have seriously flawed business models, and charging regimes which are grossly inconsistent across their own range of 'bundles'. 

Meanwhile, the broadcasters and the TV broadcast platforms (Virgin, Sky, Freeview etc) aren't sitting still. They are adapting their approaches and delivering, using combinations of new technologies, a  viewer-friendly range of offerings. And they start off with viable business models, which are holding up very well.

My money is on a combination of broadcast platforms + increasingly sophisticated set-top boxes which integrate the best of all the new offerings - but without the viewer having to work out just how many suppliers you need to contract with to get what you want, and then maintain it. 

chrisjames
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The BBC has put BBC3 online only because it saves a substantial amount of money. As stated, the only drawback is that the TV can no longer record its programmes. Every reasonable TV being sold now is a "Smart" one and connecting to the internet throws up many more channels on Freeview, and on Tivo (Virgin with its own dedicated broadband connection).  Once the technology is there to record channels broadcast this way, and with broadband speeds of 200 being the norm, then I hear the death knell for terrestial TV, but superfast broadband has to extend to all of the country first but that could well be achieved by mobile data - 4G and counting.   Some way off but that's the future.