Menu
stugreen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Netflix buffering problem

Watching Netflix through TiVo is one of the most painful entertainment experiences I can think of.  I probably watch about an hour of Netflix content a night and recently I've experienced one, two or three instances PER NIGHT of the app buffering at 25% and then timing out.  It then takes five minutes to reboot and get back into the show.

Please do not tell me that this is a Netflix issue as the Netflix apps on other devices work absolutely fine.  This appears to be directly linked to watching Netflix on TiVo.  I don't know who creates and maintains the TiVo app but I feel both parties are jointly to blame.  Many people claim that 'content is king' so I'm not going to leave Netflix, but if I don't get some answers soon I am seriously considering leaving Virgin Media and going to get my TV and broadband through a competitor that has a working Netflix app.

Helpful Answers
Crowebar
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netflix buffering problem

I had this exact same problem and kept ringing them about it. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about and kept blaming Netflix. After about the third call I lost it and asked what they would offer me for me not being able to watch any movies on my Netflix through the tv. They gave me a free month of sky movies. The next month it still wasn't working and when I rang back up and said well can you offer me the movies again they said no they can't do that and they should have never done that for me in the first place!!! They all say something different, it drives me insane!!!! Eventually they found out there was a fault with the Netflix app on the TiVo and assured me it would be sorted by the end of the month. This was about 4 months ago. I have ended up buying an Apple TV box and watch Netflix through that which is A LOT better than on the TiVo. Shouldn't have had to buy that though!!!

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi stugreen,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're not having the best experience with Netflix right now.  I'll be happy to help check out what is causing the buffering and cutting out.

I have carried out some checks and currently there is a network issue causing the fault.  It has already been raised to our network teams to resolve.

This is due to high demand affecting the network.  Our engineers are working to resolve this, due to the nature of the work required to improve the network it may take some time.  We're expecting to review this again by the 18th November 2015.  If the issue is still present by then, don't hesitate to give us a shout and request an update.  The reference number for this is: F003705661.  

this is something that will mainly affect you during peak times and will affect other Apps such as BBC iPlayer also with buffering.

In addition, there is a seperate issue we're looking into that relates specifically to the cutting out at 25%.  This is something seperate and again we have fault teams working on a solution.  

I apologise for the inconvenience caused during this time.  

If you need anything else in  the meantime, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stugreen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette - thank you for your response.  It still leaves me puzzled though.

The network issue due to high demand (F003705661) is clearly frustrating as it is proving to be a huge inconvenience every evening.  The timescale for resolution appears to be very long.  What compensation will Virgin Media be prepared to pay?  If I'm not getting the service I am paying for I would clearly expect to be recompensed.

What is the reference number for the second issue of cutting out at 25%?  I am aware - from a simple Google search - that this issue has impacted Tivo users for a very long period of time.  Please can you provide more information about why this is occuring on Tivo but not on other devices?  What is the current expected timeframe to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

0 Kudos
Crowebar
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had this exact same problem and kept ringing them about it. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about and kept blaming Netflix. After about the third call I lost it and asked what they would offer me for me not being able to watch any movies on my Netflix through the tv. They gave me a free month of sky movies. The next month it still wasn't working and when I rang back up and said well can you offer me the movies again they said no they can't do that and they should have never done that for me in the first place!!! They all say something different, it drives me insane!!!! Eventually they found out there was a fault with the Netflix app on the TiVo and assured me it would be sorted by the end of the month. This was about 4 months ago. I have ended up buying an Apple TV box and watch Netflix through that which is A LOT better than on the TiVo. Shouldn't have had to buy that though!!!
gibbsy81
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Collette_T "In addition, there is a seperate issue we're looking into that relates specifically to the cutting out at 25%.  This is something seperate and again we have fault teams working on a solution. "

Can you give an update on this problem? We have been affected by this for months now it's very frustrating when it cuts out during a film or program. I am thinking of buying a smart TV and cancelling Virgin TV.

What's even more frustrating is that the lack of information or progress would appear to indicate that nothing is being done about it.

0 Kudos
BexTech
Superfast
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I watch Netflix through my Roku box as the TiVo is so poor.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi stugreen,

Thank you for getting back to me.

In relation to the 'high demand' issue affecting your service, I can understand the frustration as these issues can sometimes take longer than we'd like to get fixed.  

I'm sorry that we are unable to offer compensation for this disruption regarding Netflix.  You can still access Netflix using other devices that connect to the internet and catch up with your favourite programmes and movies.

In relation to the separate issue that we are aware of, it has been a long process to work on but I can advise that we are continuing to work on this.  I know it has been a long process waiting but we are hoping to have a solution soon.  I am sorry that I can't be more specific at this time about the fault or any fix time, as soon as we have anything new to share, we will keep you posted.

I thank you for your ongoing patience.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi gibbsy81,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Thanks for coming by and at this point I don't have anything new to offer in a way of an update.  I can advise that this is being worked on and we are working on a solution.

I realise this doesn't give you anything new in a way of a response, as soon as we have anything to share, we will keep you all posted.

We're keen to get this sorted and we hope to be able to provide an update soon.  

We're here to help anytime, if you have any queries in the meantime we're here to help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Reducto1
Settling in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

In Hertfordshire the same problem. It's losing connection and keeps buffering. Rebooted the tivo but it did not help. You watch a film for 1-2 minutes and then is buffering again. It's impossible to get through the contact centre. Can you please message me and try to trouble shoot the issue?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Reducto1,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing issues with Netflix right now.  I'll be happy to help check this out for you to see if there's any signal issues or high demand issues impacting your service. 

I haven't been able to locate your account currently, I will send you a private message requesting further details.  (Look for the envelope icon above)

0 Kudos