Menu
dmck14199
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Netflix + Youtube Slow on TiVo

Hi, we've been experiencing problems since getting TiVo that both Netflix and Youtube are very slow to respond. Netflix takes a long time to load, and then when typing in characters is very "laggy" and is becoming unbearable. We've had a new Tivo box in the past and still had the problem.

Ive just connected my Tivo box to my router and was wondering it this will make any difference, or if it is possible to change the settings on the box to run the internet through a network rather than using the modem built into the Tivo Box, to speed things up?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netflix + Youtube Slow on TiVo

Hi dmck14199,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that Netflix and YouTube aren't running efficiently for you.  I will be happy to help check this out for you.

I have carried out some checks with the box remotely and all looks fine with the signal and power levels.  When I check the network there is some level of high demand occurring which will impact the running speed of the Apps.  At present the levels are within acceptable thresholds, we will be monitoring this to see if it increases over time.

This will main affect you more during peak times.  At the moment I am not able to see any other possible causes.  Can you please let me know if you find this happens at certain times of the day?  Will this happen when the App is loading?  Do you get buffering when a programme is playing out?

If you can let me know I can check this further for you.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
skeggman
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi dmck14199

Sadly, this is the experience that Virgin Media seem to be aiming for......

They will replace the box if you ask which speeds up local services (accessing 'my shows' and the such) and is worth doing once you get the issues associated with long term ownership like failed recordings, pixilation etc. The apps like Netflix, Youtube and the hillariously bad Vevo are however designed to function just as you describe, at a snails pace. It is utterly rubbish and I can't fathom why.

I have a Fire Stick which serves my on demand / youtube needs and is quite reasonable. I used to have a Chromecast which also did a good job but requires a phone, tablet or PC on the same wireless network. Both are better than the TiVo experience for on demand watching and I would recommend trying one of them if you can stomach paying someone else for the service you are supposed to get from Virgin Media as part of the package.

In all honesty, I like moaning on this forum about this topic and I appreciate my comment is unhelpful despite being true. There are however some helpful Virgin Media guys who will find out if you have an actual problem rather than the standard experience.

Best of luck

Richard

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi dmck14199,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that Netflix and YouTube aren't running efficiently for you.  I will be happy to help check this out for you.

I have carried out some checks with the box remotely and all looks fine with the signal and power levels.  When I check the network there is some level of high demand occurring which will impact the running speed of the Apps.  At present the levels are within acceptable thresholds, we will be monitoring this to see if it increases over time.

This will main affect you more during peak times.  At the moment I am not able to see any other possible causes.  Can you please let me know if you find this happens at certain times of the day?  Will this happen when the App is loading?  Do you get buffering when a programme is playing out?

If you can let me know I can check this further for you.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
skeggman
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi dmck14199

Sadly, this is the experience that Virgin Media seem to be aiming for......

They will replace the box if you ask which speeds up local services (accessing 'my shows' and the such) and is worth doing once you get the issues associated with long term ownership like failed recordings, pixilation etc. The apps like Netflix, Youtube and the hillariously bad Vevo are however designed to function just as you describe, at a snails pace. It is utterly rubbish and I can't fathom why.

I have a Fire Stick which serves my on demand / youtube needs and is quite reasonable. I used to have a Chromecast which also did a good job but requires a phone, tablet or PC on the same wireless network. Both are better than the TiVo experience for on demand watching and I would recommend trying one of them if you can stomach paying someone else for the service you are supposed to get from Virgin Media as part of the package.

In all honesty, I like moaning on this forum about this topic and I appreciate my comment is unhelpful despite being true. There are however some helpful Virgin Media guys who will find out if you have an actual problem rather than the standard experience.

Best of luck

Richard

dmck14199
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi!

Yes it happens all the time. It is like lag. It takes a long time to even open the app. After that, sometimes its a case of pressing down and nothing happens so its pressed again, then suddenly it goes down twice, just really slow to respond.

It is ridiculous how slow it actually is.

0 Kudos