Menu
dmb
Dialled in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Netflix Sound Dropouts

While watching Netflix show there is frequent audio dropout. This seems to only affect shows with a 5.1 soundtrack.

The TIVO box is connected to and AV Amplifier via an HDMI cable.   

I have tried switching the Netflix setting to stereo but this has no affect.  

It was particularly noticeable on "Archer".  Anyone know what is causing this and how to rectify it?  

Cheers

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix Sound Dropouts

Hi dmb,

Thanks for popping by Smiley Happy

I'd like to help check this out for you.  

Have you got any audio equipment connected?  If so, does the same happen when it's disconnected?

If you don't have any audio equipment connected, it's worth trying out  the Audio settings within the TiVo® box.  Follow these steps:

HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > SETTINGS > AUDIO > DOLBY DIGITAL > CHANGE FROM 'DOLBY DIGITAL' TO 'DOLBY DIGITAL TO PCM'

See if this helps.  

If it doesn't, let me know and I can carry out further checks.  Keep me posted Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Collette_T wrote:

Hi dmb,

Thanks for popping by Smiley Happy

I'd like to help check this out for you.  

Have you got any audio equipment connected?  If so, does the same happen when it's disconnected?

If you don't have any audio equipment connected, it's worth trying out  the Audio settings within the TiVo® box.  Follow these steps:

HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > SETTINGS > AUDIO > DOLBY DIGITAL > CHANGE FROM 'DOLBY DIGITAL' TO 'DOLBY DIGITAL TO PCM'

See if this helps.  

If it doesn't, let me know and I can carry out further checks.  Keep me posted Smiley Happy

Hi Collette

I also have noticed this problem occuring for months now, usually once or twice within a program I am watching on Netflix (always happened during the title sequence of Bloodline, for example). I havent tried your "solution"  because it is not a solution and does not address the problem; its a workaround that downgrades to an inferior sound

0 Kudos
hannahcafc
Joining in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same issue. It appears to be a unique problem with TiVo and Netflix, with audio through a surround system. This happens throughout making a murdering series, for example. I can use Netflix on the TV through Apple TV, ChromeCast etc and no problem with my audio - only TiVo is there an issue. Any news on this?
Tags (3)
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hannahcafc,

Thank you for coming in and posting again, welcome back. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having similar problems and would like to ask if you've been able to try what Collette has mentioned further up the thread?:-

HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > SETTINGS > AUDIO > DOLBY DIGITAL > CHANGE FROM 'DOLBY DIGITAL' TO 'DOLBY DIGITAL TO PCM'.

Keep in touch and all the best Smiley Happy

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
JoCleave76
Joining in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem. I have checked my audio settings and am on Dolby digital to Pcm already and still have this problem. It is very frustrating.
0 Kudos
Pcootes
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

We are having the same issue, it is only with Netflix running on the TiVo box. No issues with virgin to or Netflix via a console.

Any ideas? I've played with the sound settings but it has made no difference.

0 Kudos
666markyboy
Joining in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same problem here.... however I've only encountered it on "Making A Murderer",   "Breaking Bad" in 5.1 is fine and all Stereo content is fine as are all other Virgin Channels and all other sound sources like DVD/Bluray    so it's not my Amp and not my Tivo Box, Definitely a Tivo/HDMI/Netflix 5.1 combination problem.... also whilst I'm here and on the subject of Tivo Netflix , why does it take so long to log into it ???   on my phone I can be watching Netflix in a matter of seconds... on Tivo it takes ages Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
mikeedanz
Joining in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yup, same here. Making a Murderer is unwatchable via the Netflix Tivo app. The sound drops out constantly. It only happens with this app so I know it's not the equipment that's at fault. Virgin media customer services told me to try via a laptop or Chromecast and I've now got the laptop connected to the TV but it's a messy workaround that shouldn't be necessary. I've been told this has been passed to their engineers but don't hold out match hope to be honest. Anyone??

stagetechuk
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'll also throw my hand up in the air and say i've noticed this issue when watching Netflix on my Tivo box. Co-incidentally whilst watching 'Making a Murderer' although to be fair that's all i've really watched on Netflix recently.

Changing the audio format setting makes no difference, and the issue is not present when watching other channels on my Tivo. Also, watching the same episode on Netflix on my laptop is fine.

To be honest it sounds like a small bug, but it would be nice if it was acknowledged rather than ignored!

Does it affect the viewing experience? Absolutely yes. If this was happening on a normal channel there would be uproar! And as this is a 'feature' of the Virgin Media Tivo service it should be fixed...

Unless this is going to be another 'Youtube' type situation...
--
Former Virgin Media customer