Menu
Browser01
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix ....It's official...

Whilst browsing my shows yesterday I noticed the banner advert at the top headlined " Netflix...It's official".

I looked at it to see whether there had been some sort of announcement regarding the current problems affecting many of vm's clients who cannot access an error free connection to this service.

Instead I found that VM had been 'voted' the best way of accessing the Netflix service...... Really??

How did that happen? It must have been a hell of a lunch when they decided that. 

I find that my wife's ipad, my tab3, and my smart tv all have perfect, non buffering access to netflix whereas many people who try to use netflix through their tivo (and continually post in these forums) find it impossible.

It is bad enough that VM don't admit to their failings with Netflix, iplayer etc. but to actively say that their system is the best point of access is just wrong!!

This is as misleading as that blo*dy sofa bear suggesting that there is magic in the congested cable network.

VM...If you are going to advertise why not promote your services which are tried and tested and work well?

Or admit that not all services work in all areas.

Keeping up with the illusion of providing the "best way" and "magic" will hopefully get you into trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority again.

Rant over.... anybody else feel as strongly about choking on flim flam?

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix ....It's official...

What broadband service do you use for these?

Browser01 wrote:          I find that my wife's ipad, my tab3, and my smart tv all have perfect, non buffering access to netflix whereas many people who try to use netflix through their tivo (and continually post in these forums) find it impossible. 

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Usually my home b/b provided by VM. As I stated there are many good points which VM could promote. Cable congestion, Netflix, iPlayer, dreadfully slow response times when navigating tivo are all ongoing problems. To blanket advertise some of these services, without the rider that not all services work in all areas, in my opinion is perhaps open to closer scrutiny by the ASA.
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They are linking to an official Netflix announcement - VM may have some issues but other IPs have too.

The 25% problem for an example is not unique to TiVo or VM.

Having problems with your service doesn't mean you are not the best.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you also going to vindicate the rest of tivo's failings ? Saying that others have problems too is cherry-picking my observations and is similar to comparing which is worse a broken arm or a broken leg. My point stands ..."not all services work properly in all areas" and VM should make that clear in their promotional material. There are many of us subscribing to VM who would have chosen alternative systems if they were pre-warned of the fact that some of the hyperbole was not exactly true in some areas/cases. I don't think that VM could ever attain a "crystal award" for some of their material.

To say that these problems 'only' affect a few people and that other providers are no better etc., is not really the point here.

When there are problems with advertising eg : alcohol, pay day loans, etc., there is a statutory warning on the adverts to waive and shift responsibility from the provider to consumer. IMO sweeping statements such as used by VM, and others, should come with statistical evidence at the very least. Did anybody at VM verify the accuracy of such a statement? Maybe the Netflix data is flawed? Maybe there are other circumstances at play? We do not have enough evidence to make an accurate assessment, honest disclosure in all sorts of advertising is what the ASA demands. These boxes on the my shows page are advertising and therefore covered by the remit of the ASA.

I am the worlds greatest father, who can peel grapes at the same time at the same time as putting up a tent whilst riding a unicycle.... all of these elements are true but used as a whole .......absurd! 

But in the murky world of advertising/hype with the omission of certain elements it 'could' become allowable but in my opinion definitely not acceptable.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You seem to have strayed away from the fact that Netflix say that VirginMedia is the best supplier of their service.

It Netflix say something about about a provider of their service - then they is nothing wrong with that service using that statement in their adverts!

Bit like only 10% of customers may be able to receive an advertised download speed for that to be the speed that can be stated in their adverts.

Doesn't mean it is fair - but it is not against the ASA rules.

Have a look on the BT forums about the complaints about Netflix  -  they are all similar to those on the VM forums.

The fact the service may have problems for some users - does NOT mean it can not be the best available!

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When it comes to facts it is probably just a coincidence that Capital Group are the largest shareholders in both Netflix and Liberty Global...hmmm. OK I will tell that to the marines.

0 Kudos