Menu
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Netflix 25% buffering problem on TiVo box

hi, has anyone found a solution to the Netflix buffering problem ..buffers at 25% and stops playing until TiVo box is restarted. Customer services are useless they pointed me to Netflix who pointed me to virgin support. Then virgin said it was a known issue for over a year yet its only just started happening to me. 

Being a known problem virgin refuse to send an engineer to check my equipment.  Looking for suggestions before I cancel my contract with virgin...thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
carlgoss
Up to speed
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Netflix 25% buffering problem on TiVo box

For me it's not just Tivo though, 25% is often a point of sticking even when I'm connecting via the smart TV as well. I have found a workaround that works for me. As soon as it sticks at 25%, back out and reselect the film/show, it then jumps past 25% and sticks momentarily on 99% before starting to play. Love these so called software developers.. no ruddy idea.

V6
200 Mbps
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you Ben.
A lot of people seem to have this problem and struggle to get help. I appreciate your concern for my privacy but on this occasion I decided to go public so others can request the diagnostics you did. I appreciate your proactive concern in preforming the diagnostics . Thank you
0 Kudos
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well, I had the engineer visit this morning....very nice person...reset my power levels and verified all connections working fine and power levels at optimum...but the bad news is when i went straight back into netflix on the first attempt the buffering 25% issue was still there...so i refused to sign the worksheet.

Some useful info resulted....other apps like catch up on demand do not exhibit the problem...so i'm now convinced it is a problem with the version of the netflix app installed on the Tivo box. Apparently there is no way to automatically update the app on the box and it looks like customers will have to wait until a new version of the tivo box is released..this might tie in with virgin media's support feedback that the problem will be fixed in june...they could not tell me what is happening in june to fix it but a new tivo box might be the reason for the june date.

The following is what i think needs to happen and managed by virgin media support (not netflix and no fobbing us off to contact netflix):

1. Virgin Media need to contact netflix and get netflix to agree it is a problem with the netflix app.

2. Netflix need to produce a new version of the app that works with the tivo box.

2.1. If netflix agree the 25% buffering point is where there is a regional check on ip address to check user is authorised to view content then disable this check if there is a problem with that check and virgin medias allocation of ip addresses to tivo boxes.

3. Virgin media need to get hold of the updated netflix app and work out a process for updating all the tivo boxes with the new version of the app, and this should include a consideration for enabling automatic updates of the netflix app so future issues with the app can be automatically accommodated by the tivo box.

4. Virgin media then need to manage the process of updating all tivo boxes and contact all customers to ensure the problem is fixed.

5. Virgin media then need to compensate all customers for the atrocious customer service treating their customers with contempt.

6. For corrective action - virgin Media need to retrain their customer services team to take ownership of the problem and not stonewall everyone by getting us to contact netflix. Virgin media offer the netflix service on the tivo box, if there is a problem with the netflix app THEY not us should be contacting netflix to sort the issue out on our behalf.

Thanks

Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well, if I worked for virgin media as head of customer support i would certainly sort it out for you...or resign for being useless in the job. Hopefully the person who holds that position will read this and resign for being ineffective or come to the forum and justify their inability to do anything useful about the problem. Let's see if customer services are brave enough to face us!

thanks.

Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

posting this issue on facebook to try and get some bad publicity for virgin media....my thoughts are they will be protective of their brand so if enough people do the same they will get off their lazy backsides and do something about it. so please do the same and let's shame them into fixing their problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos

All Replies
carlgoss
Up to speed
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For me it's not just Tivo though, 25% is often a point of sticking even when I'm connecting via the smart TV as well. I have found a workaround that works for me. As soon as it sticks at 25%, back out and reselect the film/show, it then jumps past 25% and sticks momentarily on 99% before starting to play. Love these so called software developers.. no ruddy idea.

V6
200 Mbps
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply...I'll give the workaround a go!

0 Kudos
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

FYI...the workaround did not work for me.

My best solution is to power the box off at the wall...resetting the box while powered on sometimes works but not always.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Vurginnomedia,

Welcome back and thank you for keeping in touch with the Community. 

I am sorry that there's been some buffering whilst using the Netflix. I would like to help and whilst running some tests I was able to see that there are some detectable faults that wouldn't help the operation of the TiVo box. 

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Harry48
Tuning in
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Yes i experienced the same useless customer service from both V/M & netflix so i cancelled Netflix.
Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Well I got a private message from virgin regarding the problem - not sure why they sent it private instead of trying to help others by posting it here. Anyway i've posted here in case it helps others:

Hey Vurginnomedia,

Cheers for letting me help and I hope that I can get this sorted for you soon. After some further diagnostics I was able to see that your input levels and some downstream power levels aren't working as they should. This can cause an array of issues and would really need an engineer.

I'd like to know if you're available for an engineer visit on the following times below?:-

Monday to Friday - 8am-12noon, 12noon-4pm or 4pm-7pm; 
Saturday 8am-12noon or 12noon-4pm.

Also just so I've got everything I need to arrange this, can you pop me over:-

• Name on account
  • Virgin email address
I hope you're enjoying your Tuesday afternoon Smiley Happy

Ben

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vurginnomedia,

Thank you for your post and sharing your progress with the Community Smiley Happy

I've been able to gain access to your account and have sent you a PM in reply Smiley Happy

I had taken the decision to take our conversation into a more private place, we do this so we're able to speak more freely without compromising any of your personal information.

Many thanks.

Ben

Vurginnomedia
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you Ben.
A lot of people seem to have this problem and struggle to get help. I appreciate your concern for my privacy but on this occasion I decided to go public so others can request the diagnostics you did. I appreciate your proactive concern in preforming the diagnostics . Thank you
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hey Vurginnomedia, 

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

It's really great to see that you want to help others, it's what we're all about here in the Community Smiley Happy

When fixing an issue we do love to promote what was done so in the future, others can be helped as well, and as long as your data is protected.

I look forward to helping you more and if a post is ever useful to you and think it will help others click, 'Mark as Helpful Answer', It'll highlight for future user searches.

All the best

Ben Smiley Happy

0 Kudos