Menu
Epoxian
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Netflix 25% Buffer issue

As in the subject - Netflix buffering constantly and getting stuck at 25%. Been like this for two to three weeks now, was fine before this so its not a netflix issue. There are posts about this problem going back to 2014, and 2013 on your own forums, as well as on different forums like digital spy etc so its a long standing one.

Only really watch netflix yet have the XL package which I am now considering cancelling for Sky due to this.

Does the hardware need updating ?? My connection need a power tweak ? A new Tivo box, not a recon passed off as a new box?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix 25% Buffer issue

Hi Epoxian,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're getting issues with Netflix buffering and cutting out on the TiVo®.  I will be happy to have a look at this for you.

I have carried out some checks and there is some high demand affecting the network your TiVo® is connected to.  This has already been escalated to our network engineers to resolve.  This will cause buffering issues or apps cutting out mainly at peak times.  

Due to the nature of the work required it may take some time to resolve completely.  We're due an update by the 22nd April, if by then things haven't improved please don't hesitate to get back to us and request an update.  The reference number for this is F004381934.

I'm sorry the disruption caused during this time.  Our engineers are working to resolve this as soon as they can.

If you need anything else in the meantime, give us a shout.  We're here to help.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
fatalexception
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Utilisation fault, If you have the choice of sky I would just switch. These faults go on for years and rarely ever get fixed. It affects Netflix, Tivo on-demand and your internet connection generally, especially during peak times.

It's really not worth the frustration or investing the time in complaining. "Review dates" given are just an update to the fault, if no progress has been made which is generally the case another review date is given. If they do carry out any work, it's usually inadequate to remedy the fault as the bare minimum of work is only ever carried out. After this a new review date is given or a new REF is raised.

cheekiestchops
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I recently joined Virgin and find that netflix sticks at 25% more or less permanently. I never used to have this problem before switching to Virgin. Please could you look into it for me. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi cheekiestchops,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I will be happy to have a look and check for any underlying issues causing the buffering issues with Netflix.

I have carried out some checks with your TiVo® remotely and all looks great signal and power level wise.  There is some high demand present on the network which is currently being monitored, however it's not to a level where it would impact the service at this time.  It's something we're keeping an eye on at the moment.

Can you please tell me if this happens on any other Apps like BBC iPlayer or YouTube?  If you can let me know I can help further.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Epoxian
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's now the 27th. The problem with 25% buffering is still there and getting worse 6 times during one film. At times not avaliable. Thought the engineers were supposed to update.

Lost our custom now when our contract expires.

0 Kudos
Epoxian
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Doing a search on the Internet about this problem have found an article slamming VM about capping connections above 30mbits who exceed what is an expected usage. Is this why netflix slows to a crawl and endless buffer during peak times? ??

Also Netflix have advised VM need to reset their dms or something like that. Tivo uses its own internal modem. So is the issue with the hardware in a Tivo box dropping connections. ...... ... probably ..

Problem only occurred for me about four weeks ago and before that was all fine.
0 Kudos
cheekiestchops
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette,

I do not seem to experience the problem with other apps such as iPlayer. The problem also seems to happen when using Netflix through out Sony DVD player. Prior to joining Virgin, this had never occurred so it is incredibly frustrating to the point that I am considering cancelling Netflix until my Virgin contract expires.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi cheekiestchops,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I have carried out the checks again and on this occasion there is an issue with the signal.  The Input levels are not what they should be.  

This may not be the sole cause of the issue but I would like to get the fixed before they start affecting other aspects of the service for you. 

I will arrange an engineer to call round and get this fixed, all the details will be in a private message.  Look for the  icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cheekiestchops
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette,

The engineer has visited and says there is nothing he can do and that it is a known problem that they cannot do anything about. Signal levels were acceptable. This is extremely disappointing and I do not know where this leaves me. Do you have a definite date when this problem will be resolved?

0 Kudos