Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (68 Views)

Narrow screen TiVo problems

[ Edited ]

Hi why does my Tivo box go into narrow screen.

Mod Edit: Subject title was changed to assist the community

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5 (49 Views)

Re: Narrow screen TiVo problems

A bit more information would be helpful!

I assume you mean you get black bars either side of the picture? Are they to the left and right or above and below?

Also, does this happen in the TiVo menu's or are you seeing it on programs?

It could be that you are simply watching something that was filmed in a different format to the shape of your TiVo; i.e. an old 4:3 program being shown on a widescreen TV will have black bars down the side, or some films may be in a wider aspect ratio to the TV, meaning you get black bars top and bottom.

If this issue affects the TiVo menus, then it's likely that the display settings for either the TV or the TiVo are in the wrong mode and just need changing.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 5 (40 Views)

It does it on quite a few programmes whether oldish or new ones and yes it is black bands either side have checked my settings all is ok.
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 4 of 5 (26 Views)

Hi on the TiVo & the TV, just in case you haven't set it to it, it should be 16.9, then with as an example if I'm watching an old film I can alter it with the aspect ratio on my TV to achieve a widescreen image, then revert back to the full screen setting on the actual TV.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 5 (24 Views)

[ Edited ]

If TiVo is set to know it's connected to a Widescreen TV, and the Aspect Correction option is set to 'Panel' then it'll always make sure shows on SD channels are displayed in the original format i.e if it was square then it'll remain square or if it's widescreen, it'll be widescreen.

For SD channels you can choose 'Full' or 'Zoom' as alternate options to make older shows fill the TV screen.

If you're watching an HD channel then any display format is decided by the broadcaster. HD channels are always broadcast in widescreen and bars at source to keep the aspect ration correct.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos