Menu
Browser01
Superfast
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

NEW CODE working?

For about a week tivo has been on in the morning after being left in standby overnight.

Yesterday evening (Tues 15th Nov)  tivo performed like a new box. Channel changes were instant and my shows were  available at literally the press of the button without the apalling time lag we have had to put up with since the 'plum  downgrade'.

My broadband server connects to Manchester, I live in a Warrington postcode and this area was one of the first to be afflicted with the code which broke tivo. I don't want to put the kiss of death on tivo's new performance but last night it certainly seemed fixed.

This whole fiasco has been totally unacceptable. VM should never have released untested code on the paying consumer and as soon as it was obvious something was wrong they should have rolled back to a software version which they knew would work. Unfortunately, as usual they buried their heads in the sand and pretended that it was only a few people who's boxes were affected. Once again we have been fobbed off with the forum moderators cut and paste replies and a total lack of information for many months before they could even admit that there was a problem. Even then the best they could come up with were ineffective work-arounds which had to be user implemented.

VIRGIN MEDIA this is NOT the way to run a 21st century 'communications' company and this time you have been extremely lucky not to have had a group action complaint taken to the courts for breach of contract, false advertising , and failure to provide what service the consumer is paying for. Your standpoint throughout this latest fiasco has been nothing short of abysmal and as such I really hope that you have learned many lessons from this experience. When you start getting customers telling you that there is a major fault DONT ignore them. There have been dozens of posts about this problem some of which have been viewed thousands of times. The moderators replies (when they could be bothered) were so banal and unhelpful as to be totally useless. Literally cut and paste....we're sorry that a few customers may find that our tech isn't anywhere near as good as our advertising however we have you under contract and your money comes before your satisfaction. Here are some buttons to press which won't fix anything but will keep you quiet while we keep dipping into your bank account. Oh and seeing as we can we're even going to hike up your subscriptions because we care about your money more than the service we fail to acceptably provide to you...is how it seems to me.

May I point out that Humax make a very good HD freeview recorder, Amazon, Netflix et al also provide HD services which IMO are superior to anything which you have recently been able to provide.

In order to keep customers happy to be on board, even long term loyal customers such as myself you are really going to have to up your quality control and keep your greedy price rises down to only those which are absolutely necessary. I for one am actively looking for alternatives which will be more reliable and far cheaper than anything you have been able to provide recently.

Really hoping that this new fix actually stays working and isn't just a flash in the pan.

Take heed and take care...  B

Browser01
Superfast
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: NEW CODE working?

Can anybody else confirm the 'fix'. No doubt I will find out from 7.30pm if it still holds up.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps you missed seeing the first sticky post on this forum: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Update-to-our-TiVo-boxes/m-p/3257296#U...

Browser01
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No I saw it, just not sure that I can fully believe it yet. I was told yonks ago that the bbc iPlayer was fixed whilst mine still stuttered every 10-15 seconds, so please forgive me if I don't believe everything VM tells me. B

0 Kudos
Bingley
Superfast
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This for the VM team. Can you add if the software version number has changed that is listed under system so we can verify if it has downloaded. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

20.5.7.RC24

fergiet
Superfast
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

From DS Forum

For a Cisco box it's: 20.5.7.RC24-VMC-2-C00.

For a Samsung box it's 20.5.7.RC24-VMS-2-C8A.

jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Opps I rebooted my mothers Tivo (one of them anyhow) and seen Software was same main numbers did not notice the smaller 24 part changed.

Will need compare both Tivos later to see if different.

EDIT: Above posted as I typed this, thanks that info will help, copied it to my mobile so I can check when I go and see the Tivos later.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just checked the one I rebooted and its still 23 so I wait...

0 Kudos
edgarthefirst
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Very well said, Virgin have no idea what customer service means, where they find some of the moderators god knows, as you say it's all cut & paste answers. They are as much in the dark as the rest of us.

Another  disappointment the New V6 seems to have problems already! Is that Sky calling!

0 Kudos