Menu
lizzybookitty
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My Tivo box makes a rumbling/knocking sound when switched on.

The box makes a constant knocking sound which is audible above the TV. I've tried padding underneath but it hasn't helped. Is this a fault? I've never had a box make this much noise before!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Tivo box makes a rumbling/knocking sound when switched on.

Hi lizzybookitty, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear that your box is making a loud noise. Whilst the hard drive does make a slight noise, we wouldn't expect it to be super loud. 

What is your box resting on now? Is it enclosed? 

I've taken a look at your account to see if there is anything standing out that may be the cause but i'm not really seeing anything. 

When you reboot the box, does this ease the noise for a while?

Let me know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lizzybookitty
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

I tried putting some polystyrene underneath it but that made no difference really. Originally it was in the open but it was too loud so I've put put it inside the TV unit now and i can still hear it. Rebooting doesn't affect it either it just starts rumbling again...

Thanks,

Liz

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Liz

Thanks for taking the time to get back to us, we'd like to get to the bottom of this issue for you Man Happy

As Kath has mentioned, we expect the TiVo box to make a little noise with the hard drive and all the tuners however the level which you're describing sounds excessive of that.

As you've already taken steps to minimise the noise and it's still a problem, I'd like to arrange for someone to come and take a closer look. I've sent you information regarding that in a private message, you can view the message by clicking the red envelope on the top left of this page.

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
smith1
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mine does the exact same thing. It is inside a stereo cabinet that has always closed glass doors, it can be heard at low or higher sound volume levels. It really annoys me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there smith1, 

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this noise from your TiVo®. I'd have to ask if you've tried repositioning your TiVo® at all and if this made any difference. 

For you to hear it through the cabinet, it must be quite loud, and if you've already tried the tests that have been talked about in this post already then I guess we'd need to get someone out to take a look at things for you. I've run some testing on the TiVo® and can see no reason for this, all the power levels are spot on, so the box shouldn't be struggling to maintain a signal, and the hard drive is not reporting any issues, it's also running at an ideal temperature so does not seem to be overheating. 

I've sent you a private message in order to arrange a technician should you have already tried the suggestions mentioned in this post. Please look to the top left of this page where you'll see a red envelope icon, click on that and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once more. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos