Menu
dragonandy
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My Tivo box is also Stuttering on playback

I see from the forums you have helped lots of people with this problem. Could you possibly help me out too please.

I have tried clearing and deleting everything on the box twice now but the stuttering is still there tonight whilst watching pointless.

I would guess that the disk has been badly fragmented because they are the symptoms I see.  Stuttering playback, pixellation and pauses of several seconds before continuing.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Tivo box is also Stuttering on playback

you cannot defragment the disc like on a PC

some people claim their Tivo's run better after deleting lots of content - maybe that frees up big blocks of empty space, but i see you already tried that.

I'd ask for a new box & binge watch what you have recorded, while that order is progressing.. Also disable "record recommendations" to save on disc wear and tear + keep it on standby when not watching stuff

if the disc is failing it will only get worse

0 Kudos
vwt5
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

mine is the same,its only 3months old with only 5% of disc space  used

0 Kudos
dragonandy
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We've had two boxes for years. One is absolutely fine. The other one is used by my kids who let it get quite full frequently hence the defrag thought.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it is more likely that the kids never use standby  so that their hard drive is recording stuff 24/7 , as it always buffers the currently tuned channel plus fills itself with recorded suggestions. that has to wear out the drive in time, even if it has some smart auto-defrag coding/.

and if records current channel AND a suggestion simultaneously on an almost full drive, that could mean lots of hard seeks ? = bad design IMHO

there are some "magic"  key press combos that clear local cache if you can find the threads & try them...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi dragonandy,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having TiVo® trouble.

I've run some diagnostics on your equipment and I can see an issue with the hard drive on one of your boxes that is likely causing the issue. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange for a technician to take a look.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dragonandy
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A nice engineer cam out this week, replaced the box with a brand new one, and we're all happy again.

Thank you Virgin Smiley Happy

0 Kudos