Menu
DesmondQ
Joining in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

My Tivo Box is noisy

I have just started using a Tivo Box and it rumbles! It can be clearly heard above the TV sound. Is this normal, if so it should not be. Should I ask for a replacement?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My Tivo Box is noisy

it should be audible if you're up next to it, HHD's do make a bt of noise - they shouldn't however be heard above ambient room noise.

back to my original, get a tech booked and start watching any backlog you've built up.

0 Kudos

All Replies
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

is it quieter if you pick it up?

could be the normal HDD (the only moving part in a TiVo) resonating through the shelf it's sitting on, if so try some rubber feet - anything really that would help stop the noise getting to the solid surface, stabilo pencil erasers (nicked from the stationery cupboard at work) will do.

if the noise continues once picked up then it's a louder than number HDD, if you've only had it a short while now's the time to get it swapped - before you start filling it up, new TV season is just around the corner.

0 Kudos
SamKnows
Super solver
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Like said above if you pick it up and it sounds much quieter then it's the rumble through what ever it is sitting on. I have a wooden TV unit so have made little polystyrene feet to sit it on.

0 Kudos
asim18
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Mine rumbles like hell too. Which is ridiculous and unacceptable as I've had dozens of devices containing hard drives sitting in the same unit as my TiVo. Even a HTPC with 4 HDDs wasn't noisy like this. Yes I could hear the hard drives, but not the vibration of the HDDs resonating throughout my entire AV unit.

I'm not saying HDDs shouldn't make noise, they're moving parts after all, but the design of the TiVo is the absolute worst I've experienced in regards to this.

SamKnows
Super solver
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like yours could be at fault then asim, mine is not that bad and I can't hear it with the little feet I made.

0 Kudos
DesmondQ
Joining in
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I can clearly hear the HDD tickering away. It should be silent or just a him surely?

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it should be audible if you're up next to it, HHD's do make a bt of noise - they shouldn't however be heard above ambient room noise.

back to my original, get a tech booked and start watching any backlog you've built up.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hey DesmondQ

Welcome to the community, I've not been able to locate your account to arrange for action to be taken to take a closer look at this unfortunately, if you've not been able to give the team a call yet are you able to respond to my PM?

You can view the PM by clicking the red envelope on the top left of this page.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DesmondQ
Joining in
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all who replied. My Samsung box was replaced with a Cisco(?) one yesterday and it is fine.

DQ

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hey DQ

Brilliant news, thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Hope you have a great weekend

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide