Menu
davidenco
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My TiVo boxes are unbearably slow!

I moved from Sky to VM a few months ago. I have 2 TiVo boxes in the house, both of which are incredibly slow. So much so, today I pressed HOME and nothing happened. I waited for what seemed like 30 seconds and then I came to the conclusion I didn't press the button hard enough, so I pressed it again. The TiVo box home screen appeared (first key press) and then disappeared immediately afterwards (second key press). Obviously the button registered both times but it just took so long for the box to catch up with the request.

I'm on the Homeworks package and getting the full 300Mbit down, 20Mbit up. I don't know whether the TiVo box shares the 300Mbit bandwidth. Does it? Either way, when the TiVo box is running this slow, nothing else is using the bandwidth, so it makes no sense why it's doing this.

Can anything be done or is this what I should expect from VM?

Netflix is another good example. I don't use Netflix on the VM box - it takes far to long to render the UI (several minutes). In fact I timed it once - loaded Netflix into the main screen on the VM box in just over 5 minutes. Compare that to doing it on my Samsung Smart TV which did it in seconds.

Helpful Answers
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My TiVo boxes are unbearably slow!

0 Kudos

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

First of all TiVo has its own 10mb inte net connection so your BB speeds have no bearing on it. 

You could try rebooting it. Sometimes that will speed it up. But if you have over utilisation of the network in your area then I'm not sure what could be done beyond virgin upgrading your local network at some point. 

You could ring in for assistance. 150 free from a virgin phone or 03454541111

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos
davidenco
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I tried what was suggested and that seems to have helped. But why? Do you know what "unnecessary background data" is being removed?
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Nope! But if it works I wouldn't worry. Am slightly surprised they've only just mentioned this little trick. Certainly can't remember it being suggested until lately. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It resets the GUI without a hard reset...

0 Kudos
rmjjjt
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Seems like the boxes are just generally slow. We've only had ours for two days, so there can't be any background data to slow it down. It's like pulling teeth!
davidenco
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Our boxes are running slow again. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
TC-25
Up to speed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've been telling VM that, on & off, ever since it was installed. All they do is check it & say it's fine. Well it's not! Hell, TV's in the 50/60's had to "warm up" before they'd work but TiVo hasn't moved on, it still has to warm up before it'll respond to commands. VM either don't care or they don't know how a decent bit of kit should perform!!
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The current TIVo boxes are simply underpowered and very slow, it's especially bad if you're used to the much faster and responsive Sky boxes.

There is a new TiVo box due late 2016/early 2017.