Menu
Djinn-100
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My TiVo box smells of a musty burning smell

My vbox box smells of burning. Virgin replaced one box in my bedroom when I complained it smelt but the new one smells the same.

I now notice it from the TiVo box in the living room now I've spent more time in that room.

When switched off the smell goes.

anyone else heard of this?

The boxes definitely smell unpleasant, like plastic heated, dry musty burning smell.

only changed from Sky recently and no other devices in my home smell like these do.

it really hits you when you first come into the room with closed doors and windows.

I had to go some to get Virgin to replace the first box due to the smell so before I call again and complain wanted to know if this is just new kit or anyone else got this issue.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: My TiVo box smells of a musty burning smell

No. Sorry. Never heard of this. Mine never smells of anything.  Are your boxes enclosed in a cabinet or similar. They don't like getting hot. 

Youll need to to check everything around the boxes (the cables etc) to make sure it's nit them that's smelling. Are you using you're own hdmi cables? Could it be those?

if you call again about this they may well charge you to change boxes. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Djinn-100

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the strange issue you're experiencing at the moment. I've got to say I've never heard this being reported before, so we'd like to take a closer look at where the box is located.

As Parrotperson has mentioned, they don't like getting hot. Is it in an enclosed cabinet / shelf or does it have plenty of space?

I've also tested the box from our end for you, we're not detecting any issues with it at the moment. Does it get hot to touch at all? 

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Djinn-100
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I haven't noticed the smell for a while now.

It may have been just because it was new.

However, I have been switching the box off as I've worked away from home often.

I'll monitor it again now I'm home for a couple of weeks now I'm home and the box is always powered on

0 Kudos