Menu
Weehirry1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My TiVo box is very slow like watching paint when I am changing channels. Any ideas for speeding up?

My TiVo box is very slow when chaging channels, like watching paint dry. Any ideas on speeding it up?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Weehirry1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My TiVo box is very slow like watching paint when I am changing channels. Any ideas for speed...

Yes I thought it would go back to normal pretty quick. One of VM ENGINEERS told me it was a design fault. In that case why are they selling the bloody things.
They should do something about it. I can see them being taken to court if it goes on much longer and they are ignoring people's complaints.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: My TiVo box is very slow like watching paint when I am changing channels. Any ideas for speed...

Hi Weehirry1,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having TiVo® trouble.

There's a handy little trick you can try to help speed up the TiVo® by removing unnecessary background data.

Just go to the Home screen and on your TiVo® remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. Once you've done this, the screen will go blank for a few seconds. When the screen comes back on, you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

Hope this helps Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Weehirry1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Josh, that seems to work.

thanks.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Weehirry1 wrote:

Thanks Josh, that seems to work.

thanks.

Give it a week it will be back to normal. The sad thing is that the Forum team gave this advice after the release of Version RC23 of the code. VM then released Version RC24 of the code which was supposed to resolve the slowness but here they are still offering the same, questionable, advice.

I suspect that most customers would prefer that the Forum team would stop misleading customers and instead, VM would release an update that actually resolved the problem.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Weehirry1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes I thought it would go back to normal pretty quick. One of VM ENGINEERS told me it was a design fault. In that case why are they selling the bloody things.
They should do something about it. I can see them being taken to court if it goes on much longer and they are ignoring people's complaints.
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Weehirry1 wrote:

I don't neccessarily agree that it is a design fault per se. I think that there is general agreement that the latest versions of the Tivo software are either poorly written or, more probably, asking the processors to do more than they are capable of. The latter my be due to a desire to keep the code line consistent across both the current Tivo models and the newer, far more capable, V6.

Incidentally, which Tivo box do you have, a Samsung or a Cisco?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Weehirry1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have a Samsung
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Weehirry1 wrote:
I have a Samsung

Unfortunately I could have guessed that. I had both until I had a V6 installed and ensured that it was the Samsung that was replaced as it constantly performed worse than the Cisco. I have asked for model types on various threads on the subject and, although the samples are relatively small at the moment, I think that there may be evidence emerging that the Samsungs are the worst offenders.

¡No Pasarán!
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My Cisco box failed and it has been replaced by a Samsung. I will see how it goes.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The placebo effect is a perception generated by previous experience of an effect or belief in being told that it had an effect.... thumbs down , thumbs up, play play
0 Kudos