Menu
Skel
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

My Shows: you can't enter a time. Really?

So trying out my new Virgin Tivo box it appears that there is no way to start watching a recorded show from a specific time that you enter, which you have been able to do with Sky since, like, the seventeenth century. So although Google appears to confirm that this is so, can I just double-check that this really is the case? Because I'm finding it difficult to believe. Sure you can fast forward, and skip forward. But not being able to just enter the time to start from? That would just be outright lunacy.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Shows: you can't enter a time. Really?

That's right, you can just use the skip functionality to find the spot you want.

Also, if you're part way through watching something you can resume from that point.

0 Kudos
Skel
Joining in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know if this is feature is going to be added in the new Virgin Tivo updates that the media say are coming soon? Because this is one of the worst aspects of the Virgin service compared to Sky's. (Well, that, and the fact that the Sky interface is vastly more user-friendly and easier to navigate than Virgin's, especially Sky Planner compared to Virgin's My Shows.)

Pretty sure the Victorians could just enter a time to go to on their steam-driven set-top boxes.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

The enter time option for playback is not present on SkyQ either.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Skel
Joining in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Incredible. Yet another reason why I won't be spending my money on SkyQ anytime soon.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

No, it's not in the upcoming release and I doubt if it ever will. I've never had any need for such a function.

0 Kudos
Skel
Joining in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

It's *very* useful.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I don't doubt that is useful for some but with TiVo the default is to resume where you left off - a VERY useful function.

You can also move quickly to where you want to be using the FFWD and TAB function keys.

I don't really understand how you determine how far into a program you want to go in hours and minutes.

0 Kudos
Skel
Joining in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

>I don't doubt that is useful for some but with TiVo the default is to resume where you left off - a VERY useful function.

Yes, of course, and Sky does that as well.

But often I find I want to go to a certain place, eg, I've recorded some cricket, I stop watching at the tea break, my son watches the rest, later that night I want to go back to watching the last session, so I just enter what I think is approximately the right time (240 minutes since start of play, plus 20 minutes for tea break, plus 30 minutes if the coverage started half an hour before play = 290), and then it's quick and easy to find the exact position I want. I certainly don't want to be fast-forwarding to 290 minutes all the way from the beginning, or rewinding all the way from the end.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Skel wrote:

>I don't doubt that is useful for some but with TiVo the default is to resume where you left off - a VERY useful function.

Yes, of course, and Sky does that as well.

But often I find I want to go to a certain place, eg, I've recorded some cricket, I stop watching at the tea break, my son watches the rest, later that night I want to go back to watching the last session, so I just enter what I think is approximately the right time (240 minutes since start of play, plus 20 minutes for tea break, plus 30 minutes if the coverage started half an hour before play = 290), and then it's quick and easy to find the exact position I want. I certainly don't want to be fast-forwarding to 290 minutes all the way from the beginning, or rewinding all the way from the end.

Which is why I found their system a complete pain when I was with Sky. 

I often have to go and pick up a family member during a week night football match. Although I start watching live I usually have to stop watching at half-time. Since I have also recorded it, when I return I start the recording and can get to the start of the second-half in seconds as the fast-forwarding facility allows this to happen quite easily. 

I for one do not miss the Sky method of having to guesstimate a time.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!