Menu
DaninScotland
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My 1Tb TiVo failed today with the Green Screen and has been rebooting for the last 5 hours.

I reported the fault and was advised that my TiVo is no longer supported due to it's age and that a new TiVo will be sent out for self install. Virgin don't want the old unit. Any suggestions how I might get it repaired so that I can watch our recorded programmes?

0 Kudos
mike_gain
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: My 1Tb TiVo failed today with the Green Screen and has been rebooting for the last 5 hours.

DaninScotland wrote:

I reported the fault and was advised that my TiVo is no longer supported due to it's age and that a new TiVo will be sent out for self install. Virgin don't want the old unit. Any suggestions how I might get it repaired so that I can watch our recorded programmes?

It's almost certainly the case that the drive in the box has failed. While it may be the case that the failure will involve blocks on the disk partition that doesn't store the recording streams you'd not be able to do anything with the streams on the disk if you could recover them to another disk as they are encrypted.

Surprised you've not been asked to send the box  back to be honest. usually they arrange for either en engineer to visit when a fault arises or they arrange for you to send the box back via a courier service.

Also not sure why you are being told it's too old to be supported, all VM hardware is rented but on the understanding that they are non-serviceable i.e. anything goes seriously wrong they get swapped out. Perhaps who you were speaking to meant that the boxes were non-serviceable as opposed to unsupported.

0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: My 1Tb TiVo failed today with the Green Screen and has been rebooting for the last 5 hours.

Personally speaking, I would want a VM engineer to replace a box and NOT a self installation!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaninScotland,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® box has failed.  I'll be happy to help get this sorted for you.

How are things looking today?  If you're still experiencing this fault please let me know and I can help further.

I'm here if you need me Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Probably phasing out the old Cisco units and getting everyone on the Samsung's which aren't fit for purpose, in my opinion, since the recent downgrade.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
DaninScotland
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette,

My replacement box was delivered just over 48 hours after I reported the problem and I installed it myself. I found installation not too bad but I don't think it would be for everyone. Initially installation failed due to an error. My first call to Virgin was a waste of time.It seemed to be directed to an Asian call centre where I was advised to reboot and start again. The fault occurred again and, fortunately my second call went to a centre in Scotland where it was answered by Chelsea. Chelsea said she knew what the problem was and would fix it, and she did. I have mixed feelings about self install. I can understand the cost benefit for Virgin as there's a lot of time spent waiting for files, software etc to be installed, which isn't efficient use of an engineers time. On the other hand many people just wouldn't be capable. I think if Virgin want to continue with customer self install of replacement boxes, there should be an incentive/credit for the customer as there's clearly a saving for Virgin. There should also be a direct number for support, UK based, if the customer needs help to deal with an installation error, as I did.

I still have the old box. I appreciate that if the problem is with the hard drive there's probably nothing to be done but is there any way of getting it checked in case it's a problem which can be repaired to give us access to our recordings?

0 Kudos
DaninScotland
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My replacement TiVo box was a Cisco unit

0 Kudos