Menu
Chris1178
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Multi Room streaming

hi

just had a second tivo box installed and have set up the powerline stuff.  Plugged ethernet into superhub into wall socket then upstairs ethernet into tivo box.

i'm led to believe i can watch something off the box downstairs on the upstairs box...

Some stuff about this on the website but not sure how i actually do it on the tivo box?  how do i select it?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multi Room streaming

If the two TiVo are both connected correctly to you own network -  then each TiVo should offer the other TiVo as an option at the bottom of MyShows.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This morning I did the same with our second TiVo (I needed to use a small Wireless-N bridge as there's no ethernet cable routed to the second room) and although both TiVos are now connected to the internet via the same Superhub, I don't see the multi-room option in My Shows on either TiVo as yet.

The IP address of the main TiVo is set to 192.168.1.113 (via ethernet) and the second TiVo has picked up 192.168.10.10 from the DHCP in the wireless-bridge. Do the two Tivos have to be on the same subnet, or should I open up the third byte of the subnet mask?

In case it makes any difference, the second TiVo is a replacement for an old V+ HD box (which was apparently no longer compatible with the local Virgin infrastructure so they had to swap it out for us).

Andre

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think they have to be on the same subnet - works fine like that here

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Chris1178
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ozsat wrote:

If the two TiVo are both connected correctly to you own network -  then each TiVo should offer the other TiVo as an option at the bottom of MyShows.

I've used powerline adapters. and input as follows:

ethernet cable from powerline to superhub

ethernet from superhub to tivo box (downstairs)

ethernet from powerline to tivo box upstairs

Is there anything else i need to do or try?  I really wanted this to work but cannot figure out why i don't see the second box...is it something within the settings somewhere that i need to change/adjust?

Thanks

chris

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try rebooting both boces at the same time

If that doesn't work - make sure the upstairs powerline lets a PC access the Internet.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip, I'll run a temporary 20m cat-5 cable between the rooms and see if the boxes talk correctly plugged into the same Switch. If so, I'll see what I can do to get the wireless bridge onto the same subnet. 

Chris: Can your PC ping both of your TiVos using their two IP addresses (which you can find in the network settings screen)?

Andre

0 Kudos
Chris1178
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Right - latest update!  IT WORKS!

No idea what i did.  Just unplugged ethernet cables on both and plugged back in again and then hey presto!  Sat in bed last night watching stuff we'd recorded on the downstairs box.

Welcome to the future!

Thanks all for the advice/guidance!!

Chris

0 Kudos