Menu
bluemoon22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Multi Room - cable split

We are interested in Virgin Multi Room and realise there are CATV cabling implications. We do not want another hole in our wall and another cable crimped to a wall so we are trying to see if we can re-use what we have in place already.

We have Virgin TV in our living Room. In a separate room where the children hang out we have FreeView. The children are interested in a number of channels that are on VM but not FV and so we are considering Multi Room.

At the moment our "in house" CATV cable is distributed from a Loft Box (that is in our cabling cabinet under the stairs). Both VM and FV come into the LoftBx. What I would like to achieve is VM Multi Room by simply splitting on our internal cable 

I am wondering whether we can simply connect a splitter to the VM feed and patch the existing cable that runs to the Freeview Box to the splitter and then add a second Tivo box. Any reason why that won't work and any things to consider like amplification / cable termination etc ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multi Room - cable split

Under no circumstances mix Freeview signals with Virgin's in the same cable. Virgin's cabling is specifically designed to prevent ingress from the frequencies used by Freeview, as Virgin re-use these same frequencies for different channels. These signals would leak back to the local cabinet, & interfere with all your neighbours services as well as your own. You risk your services being suspended, & a huge bill to boot. Any alteration to Virgin's network coax should only be done by Virgin themselves.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
bluemoon22
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.....maybe I was unclear....the existing FV service will be disconnected and is largely a "red herring"....what I am trying to work out is whether we can split the Virgin Service in house or if we must ask Virgin to take care of the split ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin MUST do the cabling. and you will; need virgin's own cable to the new multiroom box
0 Kudos