Menu
Kepler
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moving out of England : what happens to contract

Hi,

We have Virgin Broadband/Media and telephone connection at our home and the contract is in the name of my room mate who is a foreigner and he pays for it.  He will be relocating to other country and won;t be returning back to England. ( Virgin media Contract will be ending in June 2016 ).

Can he transfer the contract in other person name ?? would there be any costs involved ??

what if he simply moves out of england , without paying?  

Please advise

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving out of England : what happens to contract

Ask him what he intends do, in any case you would have to set up your own terms and agreements with virgin and have the equipment you want installed, you will need to do this via phone. For security reasons on both sides
0 Kudos
Kepler
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

thanks for your reply.   His intention seems to be just go out of england without paying.  Can virgin media recover money from him even if he is abroad ? or from a owner of the flat where the equipment is installed.

thanks

LittleMick73 wrote:
Ask him what he intends do, in any case you would have to set up your own terms and agreements with virgin and have the equipment you want installed, you will need to do this via phone. For security reasons on both sides

0 Kudos
ASHMARK
Up to speed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Don't you think you should ask Virgin and not some random person on an internet forum? 

My limited knowledge of contract law suggests that he will have to give the correct notice on  HIS contract (it will probably be easy if he is out of the minimum term if there was one) and you will have to start a new one.  However, if Virgin value their goodwill and customer base then they should try and help you ease that over to you.

As for him leaving the country without paying -well you tell me if that's correct -it sounds dodgy to me. I'd wonder if Virgin would make the supply if someone absconded from that address.

0 Kudos
andyland
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Last time I checked this was Virgin's official community forum where company reps regularly give advice to customers.
0 Kudos
ASHMARK
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My understanding, and indeed my experience, is that this is a discussion forum and if you want anything actually done you should contact 150. 

When I have used the forums they can not discuss specifics of the situation publicly and when they do contact you here or via private message it often takes time.

So based on actual experience I advise anyone with specific problems to contact 150 (or the online help).  If that doesn't work out there is a complaints contact - I can't remember the exact details, it's on the VM site somewhere -which worked very well when I had major difficulties and got new cables and a new router which seems to have fixed my issues.