Menu
Deadorred
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Moving content from one tivo to another

Hi there

I've just upgraded from a 500gb to 1tb tivo. I was wondering if there was a way to copy all of my saved shows to the new tivo?

I swear the engineer I had last year did this for me when I swapped boxes, but the guy who came over last week didn't have a clue.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving content from one tivo to another

you can migrate the series links but not the recordings

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Technically it's quite possible (there are programs you can download to do this for US TiVos, just Google them) but Virgin won't do it for you or support it with their boxes. Thanks Virgin.

Andre

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

because you can do it on sky and BT boxes?

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

BT and Sky have TiVo boxes too? I was only speaking about TiVo, for example: https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/transfer-recordings-your-pc (and a load of other similar open-source solutions).

But I don't think this works with TiVo devices that have been downgraded by Virgin - I'd be very pleased if someone could say otherwise though.

Andre

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

andrewilley wrote:

dannylau wrote:

BT and Sky have TiVo boxes too? I was only speaking about TiVo, for example: https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/transfer-recordings-your-pc (and a load of other similar open-source solutions).

But I don't think this works with TiVo devices that have been downgraded by Virgin - I'd be very pleased if someone could say otherwise though.

Andre

Why do you think you can't do it? because Virgin are spoil sports or because the content providers won't allow it 

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

Why do you think you can't do it? because Virgin are spoil sports or because the content providers won't allow it 

A little of both to be honest. Content providers should not have any issue with Virgin engineers being able to transfer entire recorded content over to a new box when upgrading or replacing a failing unit (which was the subject of this thread) which would be a trivial task as long as the original HD is still mostly viable. Assuming that Virgin wanted to spend the resources doing so for their customers anyway.

I can see some content providers not wanting copying to PCs or streaming to other devices though (although Sky seem to manage it with Sky Go?) as many of these companies still try to live in the dark ages of national borders and release windows and want total control over media consumption. It does all seem to be a case of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted though, as who on earth would bother waiting for UK broadcasters to eventually catch up in order to pirate something from a Virgin TiVo?! Sadly it's a case of penalising legitimate use in order to supposedly prevent something that has actually already happened.

Anyway, this is probably a discussion for another place, as the answer to the OP's question is still going to be No.

Andre

0 Kudos
Deadorred
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Like I said, I 100% kept my recordings and series links last year when I moved. I'm 99% certain the engineer swapped my tivo box rather than leave me with my old one.

This time I can't even move my series links, my account only shows my new tivo.
0 Kudos