Menu
wicca77uk
Just joined
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Moving Tivo box

I live in a flat and I am looking to move my Tivo about 5 metres into another room. However I will have to get a longer cable as it will need to be run around walls to get to the other room. Is this possible? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Xx
0 Kudos
diddley07
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving Tivo box

Hi it is a very simple procedure to move your tivo box. Electrical sockets or extension leads are obviously required for power supply in the new location, for the Virgin cable itself you can very easily unscrew it from the point it enters the rear of the tivo box, and using a widely available cable extension lead simple attach one end to tivo and other end the cable that you previously detached. Before any of the above i suggest you UNPLUG tivo from the mains. I have done this myself, ensure you have purchased an extension lead which will allow some spare length as you will find extra length helpful in fixing/concealing cable when the job is done. Good luck.
0 Kudos
diddley07
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again this is the product I was referring to http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjj9bOwvrzSAhVxFtMKHRD0DKsYABAKGgJ3Yg&sig=AOD64_0SIANGYCs... other types/ brands are available, hope this helps Sid.
0 Kudos
diddley07
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

.... to keep costs as low as possible you can buy cable called coaxial separately and also the connectors are widely available. There are plenty of tutorials online showing how to attach the connections. I make my own with no tools other than pliers and pocket knife for fraction of the cost of buying pre-assembled.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

BEWARE

Although diddley07 may have had no issues, there is no guarantee that using that sort of cable will not cause issues for yourself or other customers in your area.

Virgin Media use a much higher spec cable and it is recommended that you contract Virgin Media to do this work at a £99 charge. They will ensure that your installation is in good shape after their call and protect your and your neighbours' quality of service.

LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I agree with ErnieC this is not something that should be done yourself Virgin use a special cable that is not on the open market. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I will also add that if you do it yourself and cause issues with noise then the result will be your cable being disconnected in the street cab and your services not working. Also there charges for putting it right are a lot more then the £99 fee for non fault call outs.

100Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 100Mb Business 5 Static IP (Hitron Hub)
TiVo V6 Player TV
Sky Q Entertainment, HD & Box Sets,
diddley07
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Noted. I will pass it on.
0 Kudos
diddley07
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK,no problem. I have learnt something today. Regards Sid.
0 Kudos
diddley07
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,I am sure you have seen fellow users replies, I stand corrected. Suggest you follow their advice for best practice.Sid.
0 Kudos