Menu
Sanyo
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Missold a virgin TiVo box package

Have I been missold a TiVo box package.

I was pestered by the Virgin sales team to take a TiVo box package.They told me that I should try it to see if I liked it.

Was assured that I would have to try it for 3 months minimum and if I did not like it I could cancel after the 3 months.

I tried to cancel after 3 months and was told I need to pay for it for 1 year.

Anybody got any advice.thanks

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missold a virgin TiVo box package

Only to say that unless you got that in writing no. consumer law applies. Normal cooling off period is 14 days. 

http://ow.ly/Tmubog

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/whats-virgin-medias-cooling-off-period-can-i-cancel-if-i-don-t-like-i...

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Trouble here is, Sales team will deliberately LIE to you to get a sale.. They will say ANYTHING to get you to sign up..

(all depends who sold him the package..if shop, verbal, no chance...phone, possibly if recorded.(and VM will admit it))

There is massive 'over utilisation' in my area, there is a fault raised for it that has been put back more times than I can remember, YET...my neighbour was sold 152meg broadband,(in the local shop)  and when he asked about ability to get the quotes speed, was told 'you will get the max speed, no problem' when he asked regarding the problems with others getting slow speeds, he was told 'no, there are no problems in your area at all, you will always get the full 152 meg,' 

Of course, having 'conned' him, he only gets 15% of the speed...when he has had an engineer out, it turns out that it is an 'overutilisation' fault....VM refuse to cancel the contract as '''it's over the 14 day cooling off period'  (it takes longer than that to find out there is a fault!!)

Knowingly LIED to, to get the custom by the sales staff.... And VM  KEEP on getting away with it too..

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Based on what you have put in your post this goes beyond sharp sales practice and even consumer law - it is criminal fraud - obtaining money by deception.

Retain/keep a running log of all that has gone off and take advice from solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau (free and online).

Probably difficulties in a criminal court but should get sorted in small claims - quick and easy especially as VM probably won't want cost of a brief to contest it.

Good luck

P.S.  Don't take any advice from VM - you are in dispute with them

Comments from a mod will be of interest

0 Kudos
twobells
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Most modern phones have a 'record' button, as long as you mention you are recording the call the evidence stands up. However, what is unsual and quite worrying is that at the start of any call retailers and serviced-based products always mention that they record calls for 'training purposes' yet when you state the same they immediately ring off or say they cannot continue the call. It seems that what is good for the goose is not good for the gander...:-(

0 Kudos
Sanyo
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to let you know I got back on the phone to Virgin today and got my problem sorted out.

A big tip ,don't give up perseverance worked for me.

Thanks to everyone that posted re my problem

0 Kudos
rubyturner31
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

This exact same thing has happened to me, I'm happy to see that it was resolved for you.

I've been on the phone with two different people and they've both told me two different things and I'm feeling deflated and frustrated that they've offered no outcome for me, how was the situation dealt with for you? Who do I need to talk to because I've had no help what so ever so far.

Thank you!!

Ruby

0 Kudos
Sanyo
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,I just kept on at them to resolve the problem,ps it was them that kept phoning me and pestering me to take the TiVo box.

l did not want it as I had a Sky package with Sky and was happy with it.

They promised me faster Broadband and a new updated router.

0 Kudos